Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Discovery HSE 3.0L V6 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 10:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 2017 Discovery HSE 3.0L V6 Diesel

Hey all, former owner of a 2008 LR3 SE and 2011 LR4 HSE. My LR4 was totaled in April of 2022 due to complete electronic failure due to some water corrosion through the sunroof at 160,000 miles. Insurance totaled it out and I purchased a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the 5.7L Hemi V8 at 78,000 miles, now 94,000 miles. I got into the Jeep to help ease some of the overall cost of maintenance and get something that was cheaper on gas (didn't require premium fuel) as I have a 30 minute commute into work via the highway. I've really been wanting to like this Jeep, but have found myself searching out Discovery Sports and now a 2017 Discovery HSE with the Diesel engine. I've spent the last two days diving into research (LR Forum, Youtube, etc.) and really like what the vehicle has to offer and overall input from members. There is one that just came up for sale at a dealer near me with 99,145 miles on it for $22,000. Carfax looks great, dealer serviced, windshield replaced, brakes recently replaced. A few questions that I have:
  1. I'm not afraid to purchase a Land Rover with almost 100,000 miles on it, especially if the Carfax looks good... I'm not familiar with a diesel engine or overall longevity of the Disco 5's. Can anyone shed light on what cost of maintenance/ownership may look like after 100,000 miles? Are the crankshaft issues common with the diesel? Came across a few people mentioning that.
  2. I'm used to working on my vehicles. Generally did all the regular maintenance, can turn a wrench and enjoy doing so. Are these similar to an LR4 to work on?
  3. Anything I should be on the lookout for that I'm not thinking of?
  4. How do I get rid of the LR addiction?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Old 02-01-2023, 12:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

To answer the first question I havent noticed any issues with my td6 not as many miles as you I'm at 80000km you should be fine with the crankshaft.
2. Working on it is easy follow Gmfain on these forums for maintenance stuff he has a good schedule I do all the work myself since dealer charges 400 for an oil change
3. look for the windshield if its been replaced
4. the Lr addiction Is hard to get rid off every since i bought my disco 5 I'm trying to get my wife another rrs or Lr4
good luck you would love it and btw it tows amazing
Cant forget to mention offroad capabilities

The following users liked this post:
gmfain (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 05:13 PM
Winching
Received 361 Likes on 220 Posts

Number one issue will be to many short trips, will clog the DPF filter.

Other than that, use proper oil, change every 8K.

She's a beast off-road, and smooth and comfortable on road,

Good Luck!

Old 02-01-2023, 06:18 PM
Mudding
Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Go for it. 92k miles on mine with zero powertrain problems. Tow a lot. Just keep up with the maintenance. Might consider with 100k it'll need a timing belt soon, at least according to LRs recommendation, I do preventatives early and will probably do my belt early right or wrong. High pressure fuel pump is belt driven (back of the engine), but I can't find a maintenance schedule for that and I'm curious what that job entails in a D5

Old 02-01-2023, 07:45 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the 2017 td6. The engine has adequate power, however, the delayed takeoff from dead stop is noticeable. I've gotten used to it; the sport mode doesn't really help. I average 23 mpg according to the trip. The voice command struggles to recognize what I say so I really don't use it. It's easy to do without it.
Also, it was equipped with telematics that ran on 3g. When 3g went away, so did the nav system, as well as the remote service call and emergency call, if so equipped. Rover did manage to run much of that through the sat link it seems; you'll have to pay about $110 a year for "protect" and "remote premium." With this service, the emergency call and service call work again, as well as remote start, beep & flash, GPS location , lock/unlock and miles/range display on the app. The nav no longer works, which is sad because it was very nice. I have found a work around. If you have a hotspot on your phone, the car can connect via wifi to the hotspot and the nav will work! I don't know however, if updates will remain available. It would seem possible, if later years run on a similar navigation platform that does work on 4 or 5 g, that they may still support it. Otherwise, I have been able to hook up Android Auto to use the google map on the nav screen. I have found that it shuts off sometimes which may be a setting on my phone. Oil changes are very simple when done topside using the siphon tube. The vehicle has definitely grown on me and I would not part with it at this point.
Have fun!

Last edited by David42six; 02-01-2023 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:57 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks all! Really appreciate the insight and glad to hear everyones experiences have been good. Going to test drive today, we'll see!

Old 02-02-2023, 01:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Many options on the D5 - if you have any off-road aspirations make sure it has low range.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, good to go on the low range. Here's a full spec sheet of options on this particular car. Wasn't able to get in tonight, but planning to go by tomorrow. Are control arms a big thing on these like they were on the LR4's? I know they have significantly dropped in weight. Do they wear as quickly?

Old 02-02-2023, 09:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Also, in terms of short trips... I have a 30 minute highway/back country roads commute into work 5 days a week. Is that good enough to resolve the regen/DEF issue?

Old 02-02-2023, 09:51 PM
Mudding
Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaylo32
Thanks, good to go on the low range. Here's a full spec sheet of options on this particular car. Wasn't able to get in tonight, but planning to go by tomorrow. Are control arms a big thing on these like they were on the LR4's? I know they have significantly dropped in weight. Do they wear as quickly?

Yes control arms wear relatively fast. Lots of different opinions of how long they last and why. Mine at 92k are clunking a little and starting to wander on uneven pavement. Going to put forward and rear lowers on next week.

Quick Reply: 2017 Discovery HSE 3.0L V6 Diesel