New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Discovery TD6 “Transmission Fault” and car free revs…

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 10:49 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2018 Discovery TD6 “Transmission Fault” and car free revs…

Hi,

I was thrilled by my new ride, got it 3 weeks ago and clocked just over 1600 miles - city and highway combined. Thrilled, until now…

Unfortunately,
today after about 200miles trip with family, with some climb at times, we parked to car at our destination and then 20-30 mins later we started it and the “transmission fault” warning came up on the center of dash and check engine followed.
Car barely moves when in D, free revs and no movement. With some switching D, N, R I can get it to crawl to be out of traffics way. I don’t think is limp mode per say, as at times it would just rev without moving at all…
Also, I noticed when I put it on snow program I can get it to move quicker than when in auto mode. I guess when diffs are locking, somehow makes it to move.

Read manual, it says this is limp mode, but I can’t practically drive like this, it free revs and barely moves…

Sound like transmission blew, but why the programs with more locking make it somewhat engage. Just thinking out loud - if it was tranny why the programs will affect things?..

anyway I am screwed - no warranty and 200 miles away from home (just towing will cost over 1k…)

not so very proud new owner now

I am looking to arrange ride home for my family, and tow the car home too. Gotta decide if I should take it to a dealer or independent shop…

Did this happen to anyone? Any tips? What to expect?

Thanks,
Ivan

Attached Thumbnails -5552f689-d4dd-4e39-9b6a-3d707e89bdc4.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
TheManMac (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 12:08 AM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't know what to do other than call LR roadside and see if they can help you. 815 562 1664
Maybe there's a place nearby that could get you going again, best of luck.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:31 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

That's so lame! Have any extended warranty? Keep us posted on what you find.

Old 02-21-2023, 11:19 PM
Drifting
Unhappy Does anyone know details of dealer/demo/executive cars, and how warranty is affected?

Originally Posted by TheManMac
That's so lame! Have any extended warranty? Keep us posted on what you find.
Nope, no warranty, unfortunately
Even the standard used car 50% deductible for 30days or 1000 miles wont apply because I am over the miles... (still within the 30 days, i cant believe this is happening to me)

I may have a demo/executive car, I am investigating into this. On carfax, car was registered to first owner when it had anywhere between 6-10k miles, I cant easily tell by the carfax because the "first owner reported" record is right between these two mileage maintenance records, and itself does not have a mileage. It is very obvious dealer used it during this time, and then car was sold. I think, I may have a chance to bring to LR as dealer cars have little special extra warranty (I wish to believe this). I am not sure, just beginning to research this. IF anyone knows the details about dealer/demo/executive vehicles and their warranty, please PLEASE chime in.

Here is what the Fox says:

Thanks,
Ivan S.

Old 02-22-2023, 01:42 AM
Mudding

Are there any repair shops you can tow it too? I'm hoping it's a minor and not a major issue and that they can get you going. The tranny's on these things are not known to fail. Even if it was a demo/loaner it was serviced; and a new windshield. In my dealings with LR, unless prior arrangements are made, the warranty is over after 4 years or 48k miles. Again, I am hoping it will not be a difficult fix. Best of luck.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Crawl under there and see if there is a fluid leak. That is about all I can think of that would cause a transmission to have an issue at this stage. I forget if you have to remove one of those little underside flimpsy shields or not. I kinda hope so, because then it'll be obvious if there is a leak from the transmission.

If so, find a shop that works on Ford F-150s or late model jeeps. Those brands also use the ZF8 transmission (aka the 8 speed automatic). Tell them you have a ZF8 and a leak. Your two options are to have them refill it or see if they can repair it. If you have time, go for the repair but a fluid top up would probably get you home.

Do not try to top up the fluid yourself. There is a procedure related to transmission temperature, so you have to have the engine running and a transmission temp read out to do the refill (aka OBD2 reader and a lift). Also be careful with the fluid, use only ZF8 recommended fluid. ZF specific fluid is recommended but I suspect jeep or ford labeled fluid is the same stuff with a different label. I mean, if you want to refill a transmission with the engine running, you do you. I don't personally.

But yeah, see if there is a leak and go from there.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LR Max
Crawl under there and see if there is a fluid leak. That is about all I can think of that would cause a transmission to have an issue at this stage. I forget if you have to remove one of those little underside flimpsy shields or not. I kinda hope so, because then it'll be obvious if there is a leak from the transmission.

If so, find a shop that works on Ford F-150s or late model jeeps. Those brands also use the ZF8 transmission (aka the 8 speed automatic). Tell them you have a ZF8 and a leak. Your two options are to have them refill it or see if they can repair it. If you have time, go for the repair but a fluid top up would probably get you home.

Do not try to top up the fluid yourself. There is a procedure related to transmission temperature, so you have to have the engine running and a transmission temp read out to do the refill (aka OBD2 reader and a lift). Also be careful with the fluid, use only ZF8 recommended fluid. ZF specific fluid is recommended but I suspect jeep or ford labeled fluid is the same stuff with a different label. I mean, if you want to refill a transmission with the engine running, you do you. I don't personally.

But yeah, see if there is a leak and go from there.
Thanks for comment!!!

There was not any leak, I would have noticed it. I had the car for 3 weeks, I would have seen the tiniest little spot.
Unless something happened on the last drive, but then again when we parked I would have seen it. I walk to the parking spot after this happened to check for fluid and there is none.
I am so baffled. from what i see searching these ZF transmissions are not known to fail.
I have shop appointment for next week, working out the towing details $$$

Last edited by islavov; 02-24-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Waiting for tow truck.

I could not wait and read codes:

P215B - vehicle speed - output shaft speed correlation

P174E - output shaft speed/abs - wheel speed correlation

not sure what to think…

on quick search, 1 could be faulty sensor/wiring, or 2 the tranny is truly slipping and the two sensors are actually working and basically detecting it.

It’s a fact, tranny is slipping, so I am afraid it is the later one…

I checked under car again, no visible tranny leaks. Can’t see the tranny oil level where it is. Will be waiting for updates from me shop after the tow.

(fingers crossed)

Ivan S.

Last edited by islavov; 03-01-2023 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TheManMac (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 01:57 PM
Mudding

I bet it will be the sensor or something electronic. You were enjoying using it up to the time of the fault with no noise or weird shifting. Transmissions usually give some indication that they're gonna go. Like some of things I've experienced on other cars...frightful banging, shifting that causes whiplash, fluid all over the place, unexplained nuts & bolts on garage floor, driveshaft on ground, smoke, etc.

Last edited by David42six; 03-01-2023 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:19 PM
Drifting
Default *** COMPLETE TRANNY FAIL at 56K 2018 Discovery TD6 ***

I was secretly hoping somehow it could be electronics/sensors something that puts tranny if this fail safe/limp mode, but Naaah - my shop called me today, they took a sample of tranny oil - completely black with visible metal debris... they said need new tranny or complete rebuild.

Car is out of warranty.

I still think when LR use the cars as loaners, they should extend the warranty. Some dealers actually do, and while others just pass it to the owners, like me... This is a loophole in the system!!!!
I know I am biased considering the situation, but please answer this - how many tranny failures on Discovery 5s have you seen around?...

Just extremely disappointed right now...

Quick Reply: 2018 Discovery TD6 “Transmission Fault” and car free revs…