Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 model year Discovery V Updates and "face lift"

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 09:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker Woods
The changes to the exterior are very subtle in my opinion. In regards to the interior, I think the rotary twist dial shifter that goes up and down is much more luxurious and cool than on the new 2021 model. I also think the steering wheel in the current model is more luxurious than the upcoming 2021 model. I think the new steering wheel is perfect in the Defender--more rugged/utilitarian but not as luxurious in the Disco.
I agree fully from my limited time with the Defender... and obviously you've had hands on time with both of them. I do wish I had the Velar upgraded steering wheel with the chrome trim ring which is even more attractive. The buttons on the def wheel are utilitarian... the newer glossy disco ones look great. I don't feel the disco should have gone backwards in lux.
the big changes are obviously engine choices though... but I'm happy with the supercharged v6... I've had great luck with i6s from AMC in the past.

The following users liked this post:
Tucker Woods (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 11:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Love it! Some meaningful updates in there.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Things I like about the 2021 updates:
1. Matrix headlamps. (had these on a rental Mercedes in the UK and they were amazing for keeping full lighting range while not dazzling oncoming drivers).
2. The larger, more modern looking integration of the screen.
3. The new UI software which supposedly is faster (although my main complaint about the old one was the time it takes nav to boot) and has 360 deg and through the hood camera a la Defender. However bugs drive me nuts so I wouldn't want it yet.
4. I think the fender badges being body colored look classier.

Things I don't like about the 2010 updates:
1. I think the new (traditional) shifter is more convenient but less classy/modern looking. I don't care either way about it except the new matte center console with so few buttons looks cheap as *****...
2. I think the new touch looking buttons between the climate dials look less user firendly than the real buttons we had already.
3. I'd prefer they kept the simpler supercharged 6 than the new mild hybrid version.
4. The rear lower facia without the seperate fake exhaust section looks cheaper as it's plainer (even though I'm not a fan of fake exhausts).

Things I'm undecided on:
1. The rear lettering moved down to the trunk handle.
2. I don't know if the rear vents work better in the center console vs b-pillar or if it was just done to save money...
3. The photos of the steering wheel aren't great so I don't know if I prefer it or not to the glossy touch version on my 2019.

Overall I think the only thing I really like, and would drive me to hold on for a 2021 vs 2020 if I were in the market, is the new center screen and software.
The other improvements like matrix headlights I can live without (as the existing LED headlights are great) and the rest are negatives.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 11-12-2020 at 01:28 PM.
angelboing (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 01:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
Things I like about the 2021 updates:
1. Matrix headlamps. (had these on a rental Mercedes in the UK and they were amazing for keeping full lighting range while not dazzling oncoming drivers).
Won't be getting these in the US afaik.... amazing headlights that won't pass our US headlight rules because they haven't been updated since like 1968. Annoys me perpetually. The new sterring wheel works in the Def... i think it doesn't in the Disco. Oh well. It seems a lot of the outside updates were done on the 2020 Landmark I guess... and now being put across the lineup?

AirRyan (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 03:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Honestly, I don't see anything here I'd significantly rather have than what's on my 2017.

Even the center screen I could go either way on.

Tucker Woods (11-12-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:32 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad we got our 2020 diesel when we did! It seems a shame that they've dropped the diesel engine from the lineup, but it seems that diesel is destined to give way to electric in everything but pickups.

spyderbret (01-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979rover
Honestly, I don't see anything here I'd significantly rather have than what's on my 2017.

Even the center screen I could go either way on.
drive a Defender, the new Pivo Pro and camera system may change your mind. Plus there will also be Bluetooth wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

Originally Posted by sobiloff
I'm glad we got our 2020 diesel when we did! It seems a shame that they've dropped the diesel engine from the lineup, but it seems that diesel is destined to give way to electric in everything but pickups.
Since they are keeping the TD6 for the 2021 FFRR and RRS, I'm thinking what's happening is the new MHEV diesels are delayed in being accepted by the US (and California). The rumor several months ago was the D350 was coming over for the D5 so I think it may eventually be a mid-2021 option.

Still don't understand why the US website doesn't have the 2021 up yet.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:23 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by eelpout
Still don't understand why the US website doesn't have the 2021 up yet.
It's there. You have to look under "models" and then go to "future vehicles". It will even let you build one out.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:26 AM
Rock Crawling

Also, the new gas motor (not the four banger) gets a slight power bump, so it should make the Disco a bit more fleet footed.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:52 AM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979rover
It's there. You have to look under "models" and then go to "future vehicles". It will even let you build one out.
well, dang! wish my dealer had told me that. thanks!

https://www.landroverusa.com/future-vehicles/index.html

angelboing (11-23-2020)

Quick Reply: 2021 model year Discovery V Updates and "face lift"