New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

about to pull the trigger on 2017 HSE luxury TD6....opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 01:40 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to pull the trigger on 2017 HSE luxury TD6....opinions?

Hey everyone,

I am seriously considering making a switch to a Land Rover Discovery with the TD6.

Its a 2017 with only 10,000 miles, loaded with every additional package on top of the HSE luxury trim. Also has the 22 inch wheel option, which I’m not entirely a fan of.

The aintree green is so beautiful, and the interior is luxurious...the massage seats 😋

I am coming from a 2017 F-150 lariat special edition with the 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost. Mileage is quite good in it, but still doesn’t reflect diesel numbers. I don’t need the max towing figures my truck supplies, and the tow rating of the diesel will toy the things I have just fine. We really like the idea of a large SUV with nice trunk space (with 3rd row down) vs just having cab space and a 5.5 foot truck bed.

We also own a 2015 VW Golf TDI which we adore, very reliable, and unreal mileage.

Just looking for honest opinions from owner experience overall reliability. Build quality? expectations have they been met? and would you buy something different if the opportunity presented itself?

thanks!

Old 01-24-2020, 09:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a 2019 HSE Lux with the gas engine which I’ve had for 6 months and I like it a lot.
It’s too early to comment on reliability but I have a few observations on “initial quality” based on my experience and the threads from others...

When I first took delivery the infotainment system software was a couple of versions behind and there were many bugs (eg there would sometimes be no audio as if the amplifier didn’t turn on) and a few other issues but 3 or 4 updates later and it’s working very smoothly. So make sure the infotainment software is up to date.
The hidden storage compartment behind the HVAC controls sometimes refuses to open. This is a mis-alignment issue that the dealer can fix (there is a service bulletin from Land Rover). I will get the dealer to sort it when I take it for service.
I have a rattle from possibly the passenger door, b-pillar or rear passenger door. It only shows up on certain roads and surfaces. Again I’ll get the dealer to look at it when I go for service,
Some people report leaky windshields, it seems to fairly common. Mine is fine and I’ve driven in extreme rain and pointed an overpowered power washer at its seams many times so it’s not a universal issue.
Some people have had alignment issues. Mine seems fine.
I have read of Jaguars with the same gas engine having o2 sensors go out but mine has been fine so far.
I don’t know much about the diesel, there are plenty of threads on it for you through.

It’s a joy to drive, a great road trip car or relaxed commuting. Stereo is ok for the money. The gas engine is thirsty but not being a turbo it has nice driving characteristics. It’s immensely practical. I’ve had both rear rows folded many times and brought stacks of 5 foot by 3 foot tops home from Ikea among other things.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 01-25-2020 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tucker Woods (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 10:40 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ‘New’ 2017 HSE Lux

I also bought a 2017 HSE Lux with 6,000 miles and $15,000 options a few months ago. It’s has 20” wheels but alas, isn’t green. Green cars are in very short supply. So far so good. Still need several software updates which can’t be made OTA according to the dealer.

Very thirsty. Wanted a diesel (reportedly - 33mpg highway) and was taking delivery when the dealer decided it needed a NYS emissions test. Well, for 3 days they tested and tested and it continued to fault. I pulled the plug since they wouldn't warranty it would pass future testing. Disappointed in this dealer’s support.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Great . . . another diesel scandal?

But that's why I just bought our 4th. Compare these to diesel pickups?

. . . I like my chances.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronbo44
I also bought a 2017 HSE Lux with 6,000 miles and $15,000 options a few months ago. It’s has 20” wheels but alas, isn’t green. Green cars are in very short supply. So far so good. Still need several software updates which can’t be made OTA according to the dealer.

Very thirsty. Wanted a diesel (reportedly - 33mpg highway) and was taking delivery when the dealer decided it needed a NYS emissions test. Well, for 3 days they tested and tested and it continued to fault. I pulled the plug since they wouldn't warranty it would pass future testing. Disappointed in this dealer’s support.
That 33mpg is if you REALLY baby it. No 75mph. But over 4K miles of mostly city I’ve averaged 23.7 on the TD6

Old 01-26-2020, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling

A little gentler driver, mostly my wife's [new to 12K] total average is 26.3mpg. We get over 30mpg going 68-73mph on "cop heavy" US50 to/from Colorado.

17s are a little more hit/miss with some of the early life problems from what I've heard but there are also great deals to be had. We have been fortunate and problem free with our 2019 Lux.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased a 2018 HSE Lux Td6 about 18 months ago and would caution you about reliability. Love the ride, changed out the 22's to 20" for a better ride and am getting about 27.2 mpg. That is about all of the positive I can say.....it has been in and out of the dealer with manufacture defects/issues from engine concerns , fit and finish, electrical and general poor workmanship. In the first 52 weeks of ownership my Disco has been in the shop (for all warranty issues) 28 weeks. Dealer has been fantastic but LR corporate has not in terms of parts availability or any sense of customer service. Understand what you are getting into (this is my third prison term - '94 NAS Defender and 96 RR) and if you are committed to the LR experience then welcome to the family.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a 2017 HSE TD6 and love it. Yes, I had some ****ling issues in the beginning, but all covered by dealer.

Honestly, I've got almost 40k miles on it and all in all very little trouble. Looking forward to the next 40k

Old 01-27-2020, 10:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I also moved to a2017 td6 had, alas not lux from an f150 lariat supercrew except with 5.0 coyote. Whoever had my disco first got all of the problems as it was a lemon buy back out of Washington. Since I've owned it, no problems except for an ac panel that's hard to open for the CD. Over the last 8k miles I've seen 27.8mpg including towing a 23' boat.

I probably wouldn't buy another disco as there are now some other diesel alternatives such as x7 and Audi that may be a better option in terms of reliability and dealer network. The car rides great on the 20s and the diesel pulls great I would recommend it from that perspective, but it is thirsty for diesel exhaust fluid and parts are just about dealer only items.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Sadly . . . not stateside [other diesels that is].

Quick Reply: about to pull the trigger on 2017 HSE luxury TD6....opinions?