Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding OEM Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 05:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Adding OEM Fog Lights

For whatever reason my HSE didn't come with fog lights. Seems like standard equipment nowadays, at least in the PNW. I have been making due until our last trip where I spent a good amount of time staring at a white wall of fog/snow.

I checked and the needed LR steering wheel switch and fog lights are available through various dealers or ebay. The lamps need a 15amp fuse, easy enough. However, I am unsure if the needed wiring is already included in the Disco. I peeked into the bumper by removing the front tow cover and it seems as if there is a connection for the lights so I am optimistic that I am set. But I wanted to check if anyone else here has pictures of the fog light connections or has added/replaced the OEM fog lights before I remove the front bumper fascia to confirm the wiring.

I am tempted to add aftermarket grille lights, but that's a slippery slope for me...I will then feel obliged to add a roof light bar! I wish the SVX light bar or something similar was available for purchase.

Last edited by DeusMexMachina; 12-23-2020 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Honestly, I use mine all the time if I remember to turn them on when the headlights are on. BUT I don't think they are really all the useful. Seems they add a little light on the sides but other than that no. I would go with a grill system for better light.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

They’re extremely useful in fog and snow, which is the only time they’re meant to be used.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:37 PM
Three Wheeling

I opened up the wheel well liner this morning and confirmed there is no wiring for the fog lights, bummer.

I will start looking into grille lights that fit into the lowest opening. I would like to get them as close to the OEM fog light position as possible but the slots closest are air channels for cooling the brakes so I will have go closer to center. The same setup as I have seen on others in the forum, except I could go with one long bar instead of two.

I won’t add roof lights until I find a mounting solution that looks more integrated.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pls share your findings Deus, I too have only rear fog lights.. and was thinking how to add this after the recent trip across snoqualmie pass

Old 12-28-2020, 12:25 AM
Three Wheeling

No dice, the ending I thought may be a connection for the fog lights ended up being a bracket for the parking sensor above the fog light positions. I'm starting to look at different options for grille lights, I think they will blend in nicely so they are too obvious, leaning towards amber.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Finally got around to adding fog lights. I went with the Rigid road legal SR type. They are hardwired since getting through the firewall was easy through the steering column collar accessible through the panel for the brake fluid. The wiring harness provided by Rigid worked perfectly.

Many more lumens than the factory fog lights, but now my D5 looks like an angry gap toothed beaver 🤣...oh well at least I am ready for the next snow storm.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Nice!

Would love to see photos of how you got through the firewall and what you did for a switch.

Cheers!

Old 03-18-2021, 04:22 PM
Three Wheeling

It’s pretty easy to get into the cabin. If you remove the cover over the brake fluid reservoir you’ll see a thick rubber piece above the steering column. I used an x-acto to make a slit for the cable that will come out right where you need it. I believe the firewall is actually between the reservoir and the engine so you’re not actually going through the firewall to get into the cabin.

I used used the switch provided by Rigid. It fit into the small pocket that I guess is for coins?

The following 3 users liked this post by DeusMexMachina:
1979rover (03-18-2021), bkjecu94 (03-19-2021), gmfain (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:49 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks good... Mine did not come with fog lights either, which I found odd and honestly did not realize until after the fact (more interested in the rear locking differential!). You have inspired me to add some. I will post pics of my install when I get around to it. kj

Quick Reply: Adding OEM Fog Lights