Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto stop/start function

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Auto stop/start function

Sometimes when I stop with my foot gently on the brake the engine doesn’t shut down and if I then pres harder it shuts down. This got me to thinking there might be 2 switches on the brake pedal or just one that’s not adjusted properly. So I tested it and found that with the brake pressed gently I do indeed have my brake light go on so I know that there’s one switch properly adjusted. So maybe there’s a second switch that activates the auto stop function and if so maybe I can adjust it to not actuate and thus disable the auto stop. What do you guys think? Does yours function like mine? Anybody know if there’s a second switch? I haven’t looked yet.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Have not noticed it, but probably makes sense. The vehicle needs to engage the brakes properly to avoid it from moving, especially rolling backwards. When the engine runs the torque converter will cause it to creep forward or stay stationary on a slight incline, but if the engine shuts off and the brakes are not holding tight enough the vehicle may roll backwards (not an expected result).

Old 11-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't think there is another switch. It measures pressure in the braking system - ie how hard you're pushing. Try it at some lights when it has cut out - if you let off some pressure (but not enough to move fwd) you will feel it restart. That way it restarts as your foot is starting to come off the brake so that it's ready to move off quickly

Old 11-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, after adding the "real SUV tires", this will sadly be my first MOD project (if we ever get ours) so my wife won't have to hit the switch every time she leaves.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I noticed I can often keep it from auto stopping by not pressing the brake pedal so hard at a stop. But it doesn't always work. And, I feel like I slow to a stop longer - i.e. try to keep it rolling longer to keep it from auto stopping. I think I just need to get used to pressing the button on each drive to shut the system off.
If I weren't so afraid of the electronics, I'd program a circuit that sends a shut off signal to the auto stop button each time the Disco is started. Very easy in theory, would just have to tap it into one of the fuses that gets hot when it starts and have it momentarily close a switch (via a small relay) that's wired to the auto stop button (might need a few seconds delay before closing the relay or a transistor). You could then turn the system back on by hitting the auto stop button when you wanted it active.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts

Why not leave it to start and stop as designed. It seems to work v well on ours and after a few weeks you just get used to it and it's normal

Old 11-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I guess we are just too old. Car dies at a stop light my wife and I both are just "holy $hit" until it starts again. Extra wear and tear on the the starting circuitry and very little to in some cases any actual savings in dollars or pollution? Now, do you live where you spend hours in traffic daily NOT driving? Then maybe . . . public transportation.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It works well, I just don't like it as the normal function. Plus, even if designed to stop/start I plan to keep the D5 a long time. A new starter will be way. more expensive than a little gas savings.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:31 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem with Auto stop/ Auto Start function after changing front brake pads in SF LandRover mech shop. Now, intelligent stop/start is not working. I'm able to press the button and the display will say it's off, then I press it again and it says on, but it won't automatically shutoff at stops etc etc.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yabra
I have a problem with Auto stop/ Auto Start function after changing front brake pads in SF LandRover mech shop. Now, intelligent stop/start is not working. I'm able to press the button and the display will say it's off, then I press it again and it says on, but it won't automatically shutoff at stops etc etc.
So just to confirm, after the brake work the car no longer auto-shuts off? Sounds like someone found the golden goose. Wonder what is causing the system to be completely off. I have heard that our Discovery has two batteries and one of them is used when the vehicle is in the auto-off feature. It is very possible this battery has been disconnected from your system and not reconnected as some have hypothesized would disable the auto-off feature. I would take it back to the dealer and please let us know what they find.

Quick Reply: Auto stop/start function