Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Ass Low Mount Cross Bar vs Factory Expedition "Versatile" Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 04:00 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Bad *** Low Mount Cross Bar vs Factory Expedition "Versatile" Rack

I've been looking at adding a rack system, for a while. I have a ton (20 years worth across many many cars) worth of Thule ski boxes, bike racks, ski racks, and such. Love their gear but been delaying moving off their square bar. Been coping just fine however impending SUP needs a decision.

We have no rails so I'm disinclined to add rails / gutter finishers then cross bars.. And just to complicate, want to keep as low a profile as possible for some parking buildings we use.

Hey does any one have any experience with this rack or this company?
https://badasstents.com/product/2017...r-system-copy/

Or any opinions on:
https://www.landroverpartsdirect.ca/...rack-vplrr0153

Thanks & happy summer!

Old 07-07-2022, 01:25 AM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the low Thule mount bar. Not sure on the exact name, as they are the the latest one I think they have an „evolution“ in the name. They sit on the rails and they fit JUST PERFECT. I’ll post some picture later, when the panorama roof window is opened it’s like magic it doesn’t touch the roofbox or anything. IMHO they are the lowest possible. I also like the black colour, looks great.

The following users liked this post:
dinkeldorf (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 05:42 PM
Mudding

Thank you! If you could measure height from roof to top of load bar that would be brilliant.

Originally Posted by Dostra
I have the low Thule mount bar. Not sure on the exact name, as they are the the latest one I think they have an „evolution“ in the name. They sit on the rails and they fit JUST PERFECT. I’ll post some picture later, when the panorama roof window is opened it’s like magic it doesn’t touch the roofbox or anything. IMHO they are the lowest possible. I also like the black colour, looks great.

Old 07-08-2022, 02:05 AM
Overlanding

I finally managed to upload some pictures I took yesterday... I don't have anything to measure it though, sorry! I could hold something aclose to it so you can get an idea?
I

The following 2 users liked this post by Dostra:
dinkeldorf (07-08-2022), gmfain (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 10:55 AM
Mudding

WOW looks like you're having more fun than I am! Pics looks great, can you use a beer bottle or key fob as a unit of measure?

And is that a board atop the box? I noticed a rivet between the the stickers driver's side on the box.

Last edited by dinkeldorf; 07-08-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:41 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by dinkeldorf
WOW looks like you're having more fun than I am! Pics looks great, can you use a beer bottle or key fob as a unit of measure?

And is that a board atop the box? I noticed a rivet between the the stickers driver's side on the box.
Hi Dinkeldorf, what I wrote on some kitesurfing forum:
Special solution: on top I mounted a Thule sup carrier for my surfboard. That was a little work: take sup carrier, saw it down and remount everything to be more thin (not as wide) for the surfboard. In the roofbox I had to make an arch inside to carry the extra load out of aluminium. If you have any question there feel free to check in for more detailed information.

Last edited by Dostra; 07-08-2022 at 06:23 PM.
dinkeldorf (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 01:43 PM
Overlanding

I’ll take some kind of measure tomorrow!

dinkeldorf (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 02:44 PM
Mudding

Brilliant. I used to run bars that overhang the rails to get more load space, especially since load bars set in from the rails lose a good 30 - 45CM total, one or two bikes. And it was cocerning me with SUPs. But loads atop ski box = whole different level genius.

Dostra (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 03:11 PM
Overlanding

Brilliant. I used to run bars that overhang the rails to get more load space, especially since load bars set in from the rails lose a good 30 - 45CM total, one or two bikes. And it was cocerning me with SUPs. But loads atop ski box = whole different level genius.
dinkeldorf I love you 🤣
you mean an overhang like that? My previous car… bmw m550d 👍🏻😍

Old 07-08-2022, 03:21 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Dostra
dinkeldorf I love you 🤣
you mean an overhang like that? My previous car… bmw m550d 👍🏻😍
can’t upload photos from my iPhone will do tomorrow form PC…

Quick Reply: Bad Ass Low Mount Cross Bar vs Factory Expedition "Versatile" Rack