Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best CarPlay cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 05:55 AM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best CarPlay cable

Is anyone partial to a particular brand of cable (USB to lightning)? I have a non apple brand cable because the apple cable is not long enough but it disconnects often from the factory CarPlay.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Try cleaning out the lightning jack on the bottom of your phone. It gets clogged with dust/lint. Blow it out with canned air or try a toothpick gently.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:25 AM
Mudding
Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Unfortunately, Apple products are best with the Apple cords. The 3rd party cords always fail eventually no matter how much you clean the ports. A battle I finally gave up.

The following users liked this post:
Matthew424 (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 10:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Word on the street is genuine apple cables.

One thing I did start doing, waiting about 30 seconds before plugging in. I turn the engine on, let the start up screen finish (so you can access all the things), then I back out of my driveway, and at the stop sign at the end of the street, I then plug in. This seems to increase the reliability of the system significantly.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:04 AM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsperling2
it disconnects often from the factory CarPlay.
Hi, I do not know if this is still the case for you or if you fixed your problem, but there is a bug with some of the infotainment InControl Touch Pro (not sure for Pivi) with Apple CarPlay. It turned me mad, but someone found the fix. Simply put, and I kid you not, if your iPhone's battery is below 50%, or not a full charge, Apple CarPlay will disconnect or in certain cases will be stuck in a connect disconnect loop.

Good luck

Old 10-14-2021, 10:11 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-21-2021, 09:44 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

We've had no beef with any cables & have graduated towards the Amazon basics as they are cheap & come with warranty. However we only use cables for CarPlay, everything else is MagSafe / Wireless. My theory is lint & sundry goop bung up the port, and abrasion wears out the connectors. I even resorted to putting phones into pockets upside down. We also swap out the phones every two years.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (10-21-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 11:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

As a follow up to this, I was having a huge issue with my phone constantly cutting out connection to my D5 carplay. Super annoying because its completely random. I would jiggle the wire with no success, flip the port around, etc. However I did notice that other iphones didn't have issues.

Cliff notes: DIRTY NASTY lightning port on my iPhone. I got a cleaning tool and pulled a giant piece of..."lint" out of the port. Also cleaned the cable plug as well. Overall I try to take care of my phone but at the end of the day, use is use.

So yeah. If you are having connection issues, try cleaning/getting your port cleaned and see what that does.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Or just blame Apple Carplay. Works for me . . .

Junk crap! Hardwired works. Bluetooth? Forget it. When I Bluetooth, my volume is only half what it is hard wired. WTF is up with that?

Sorry, don't mean to bogart the thread here . . .

Old 11-05-2021, 08:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Bluetooth CarPlay or just Bluetooth music streaming?

Quick Reply: Best CarPlay cable