New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boot opened with a gesture

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

You said "The service has it in the *** and wants money for turning off this system"

If you want to turn off this system why not try removing that fuse?

Old 12-09-2019, 07:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I can’t even get the thing to open when I want! Sounds like I need to buy a cat.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I had trouble opening mine for a while. Try a sideways motion of your foot from behind the mudflap towards the rear bumper (or in reverse) instead of a kicking motion that seems more intuitive. Although now, I can open mine with that kicking motion often, also.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:53 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
You said "The service has it in the *** and wants money for turning off this system"

If you want to turn off this system why not try removing that fuse?
My friend...
At the start I thought so, but it is not a good solution. The car was approved for sale worldwide with this system. I paid for this system. He should be safe for me and my child. Since the person with the key standing at the sensor with the child and the running animal (no mark whatsoever) can lead to the opening of the luggage compartment lid and the child being hit (the luggage compartment lid is heavy), or the destruction of the damper itself - the system is not completely safe and someone should take care of it. This car in the HSE version is Land Rover's flagship product and there should be no place for such stories....
What do you think?

And since it happened to me, it can happen to any user. You know, these things happen when you least expect them ...

Old 12-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I’m not sure what solution you want...
If it’s to disable it then try pulling the fuse for the gesture sensors. If that works then it’s disabled just as you wanted.

But they’re not going to reengineer the car for you.

I’m surprised (and interested) to hear that a cat can activate the system if you happened to be standing nearby. It’s a set of circumstances that may be enough of an edge case that it wasn’t considered during development. I bet the problem is just as likely on any other brand. After all, you would have to be standing with the key within range, the car would have to move in just the right way to trigger it, and the kid would have to be standing close enough to be hit by the tailgate (I’d be more concerned by it closing than opening in terms of safety). The fact you saw it happen on this car but not on another car is more likely a function of the way the car moved this time vs before as opposed to the other manufacturer solving the problem.

I think you should reach out to Land Rover HQ with your concern in a written letter and I’d be interested what they would have to say.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
I’m not sure what solution you want...
If it’s to disable it then try pulling the fuse for the gesture sensors. If that works then it’s disabled just as you wanted.

But they’re not going to reengineer the car for you.

I’m surprised (and interested) to hear that a cat can activate the system if you happened to be standing nearby. It’s a set of circumstances that may be enough of an edge case that it wasn’t considered during development. I bet the problem is just as likely on any other brand. After all, you would have to be standing with the key within range, the car would have to move in just the right way to trigger it, and the kid would have to be standing close enough to be hit by the tailgate (I’d be more concerned by it closing than opening in terms of safety). The fact you saw it happen on this car but not on another car is more likely a function of the way the car moved this time vs before as opposed to the other manufacturer solving the problem.

I think you should reach out to Land Rover HQ with your concern in a written letter and I’d be interested what they would have to say.
I would like them to explain why such a problem arises in the system for which I have paid. It is not safe. a mere mention in the manual, in my opinion is not enough. It's kind of like selling a gun legally to me and saying:
Be careful, you can kill someone from her
I wrote to the main importer, he sent me to a service in my area. We'll see what comes next.
For me, such stories should never happen.

In the meantime, reading the thread about the leaking glass roof, I remembered that after the rain I found a small amount of water in the front right seat. At that time I was a bit surprised from where she got there, admittedly I was opening a window, but she couldn't get to the seat that far. I remembered that now. The more that the car was in the rain only once after purchase ....
It's getting interesting .... I hope my colleague's words: I could buy Audi Q7 again will not be confirmed ..

Last edited by Novy!; 12-10-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If an Audi Q7 has the gesture tailgate function, how will that operate any differently?
And if it does not have the gesture tailgate function, how will that be different than having the fuse removed (if that works) from the D5?
Unless you just feel better thinking you didn't pay for that function on the Q7.

If you want off-road capability, the Q7 is not a similar vehicle to the D5.
If you do not want off-road capability, there are many, many other choices out there, all with different personalities (BMW, Lexus, Audi, VW, Infinity, Ford, GM, etc.).

You have not stated what you want. If you write to Land Rover, you will need to ask for what you want, not just complain that it isn't working the way you think it should.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Though I will admit that the wife and I have both just stopped trying to open ours by foot because it never works right the first time no matter which motion we use [including a few I shouldn't ] and you feel more than a little silly standing there continually kicking at the back of your vehicle. That said, we are fine using the button or FOB.

Ford Escape that started all this gestured tailgate nonsense are not immune from problems either though . . .

Old 12-10-2019, 09:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I thought the old Dodge minivan started it.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:27 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
If an Audi Q7 has the gesture tailgate function, how will that operate any differently?
And if it does not have the gesture tailgate function, how will that be different than having the fuse removed (if that works) from the D5?
Unless you just feel better thinking you didn't pay for that function on the Q7.

If you want off-road capability, the Q7 is not a similar vehicle to the D5.
If you do not want off-road capability, there are many, many other choices out there, all with different personalities (BMW, Lexus, Audi, VW, Infinity, Ford, GM, etc.).

You have not stated what you want. If you write to Land Rover, you will need to ask for what you want, not just complain that it isn't working the way you think it should.
I always thought that society in the USA is more demanding than from Europe ... As I read the thread with the glass flowing, I wonder why no one hired a lawyer. Many of these flooded cars are eligible for replacement. The rest of the users deserve a solid cash discount. My lawyer has already started working on suing the main LR importer in Poland. For me, the leaking glass that LR knew for certain is not just leaking glass. It is a violation of the purchase contract and hiding the factory defect of the car ... What to open gesture- I will answer yes. I'm not interested in why the cat or other animal opens the hatch. I know I didn't do it. And since I didn't do it, it is dangerous for me, for other people and for the car itself.
Regards.

Quick Reply: boot opened with a gesture