Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 01:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Brake replacement

Is this something I could do myself? Do people tend to replace the rotors as well? Any recommendation on quality pads?

Old 01-20-2021, 06:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes. Pretty easy. Need a high jack to be able to get the wheel off the ground! My low profile trolley jack wasnt high enough so I also have an suv trolley jack

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...ad-info-97320/

Need to put rear parking brake into service mode

Old 01-20-2021, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Extremely important to put electronic parking brake into service mode and be sure it says it is in service mode to do rear pads.
Failure to do this will result in a very expensive repair.
Alternatively, you can remove the parking brake motor from the back of the caliper (and I would still suggest disconnecting the battery cable first to prevent any actuation).
Details are elsewhere on this forum.

Front pads are very easy and don't require electronic parking brake to be in service mode.

I personally don't believe in replacing rotors unless you have a problem or they are extremely worn.
I also don't recommend factory pads. I changed my perfectly good pads out for Porterfield R4S pads just to reduce brake dust.
I did this on my last few vehicles and have always been happy with the Porterfields. The lack of brake dust now means I can clean my wheels with just a quick rinse.

If your brake light has not illuminated because your pads are worn out, then there is no need to replace the sensors unless you break one by accident (they can be brittle).
If you do have to change a sensor, you then need to access its connector behind the inner fender (front for sure, I didn't break my rear one so I don't recall). Still no big deal, just a bit of extra work.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
Extremely important to put electronic parking brake into service mode and be sure it says it is in service mode to do rear pads.
Alternatively, you can remove the parking brake motor from the back of the caliper (and I would still suggest disconnecting the battery cable first to prevent any actuation).

Front pads are very easy and don't require electronic parking brake to be in service mode.

I personally don't believe in replacing rotors unless you have a problem or they are extremely worn.
I also don't recommend factory pads. I changed my perfectly good pads out for Porterfield R4S pads just to reduce brake dust.
I did this on my last few vehicles and have always been happy with the Porterfields. The lack of brake dust now means I can clean my wheels with just a quick rinse.

If your brake light has not illuminated because your pads are worn out, then there is no need to replace the sensors unless you break one by accident (they can be brittle).
If you do have to change a sensor, you then need to access its connector behind the inner fender (front for sure, I didn't break my rear one so I don't recall). Still no big deal, just a bit of extra work.
ok this will sound dumb but what does the parking break leaver/switch even do? When I put it in park I hear and feel it clamp down same as it does when I’ve used the lever. I have an 8k lb boat/trailer setup and when on the ramp it doesn’t budge an inch when I go to park. Then the parking break automatically comes off in gear so don’t quite get what it does.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It's not dumb. I'd say the parking brake lever would be useful in an emergency situation to apply the e-brake if you did not have the regular brake system. Not sure when that ever happens but it must have happened to someone at some time. Maybe a government regulation.
Other than that, you could use it to apply the e-brake when not in park, i.e. idling in gear or in neutral. But not sure why/when that would be needed.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
ok this will sound dumb but what does the parking break leaver/switch even do? When I put it in park I hear and feel it clamp down same as it does when I’ve used the lever. I have an 8k lb boat/trailer setup and when on the ramp it doesn’t budge an inch when I go to park. Then the parking break automatically comes off in gear so don’t quite get what it does.

My understanding is that unless you engage the parking brake, the vehicle is being held in place via the drive train/transmission being locked.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The EPB automatically applies when Park (P) is selected.
NOTESTo prevent automatic operation, with the vehicle stationary, press and hold the EPB switch in the release position before selecting P.

The EPB applies automatically if the ignition is switched off and the vehicle's speed is below 2 mph (3 km/h).
NOTESTo prevent automatic operation, when the vehicle is stationary, press and hold the EPB switch in the release position. Within 5 seconds, switch off the ignition and continue to hold the EPB switch for a further 2 seconds.

If the EPB is operated when the vehicle's speed is less than 2 mph (3 km/h), the vehicle is brought to an abrupt stop. The stop lights do not illuminate.
CAUTIONDriving the vehicle with the EPB applied will cause serious damage to the braking system.

When stationary, with the EPB applied and the transmission engaged in first gear or reverse, pressing the accelerator pedal gradually releases the EPB. The result is that the vehicle can be driven away smoothly.

When shifting from P with the EPB applied, the EPB automatically releases to allow a smooth drive away.
NOTESAutomatic EPB release for pulling away from standstill is only possible when the driver’s door is closed, or the driver’s seat belt is buckled.

To override the EPB automatic release, pull the EPB switch up and hold.

In an emergency, applying and holding the EPB switch, gives a controlled reduction in the vehicle's speed. The vehicle can also be brought to a complete stop. The vehicle must be traveling at more than 2 mph (3 km/h), and the accelerator pedal must also be released. The amber brake warning lamp flashes, a warning chime sounds and a warning message displays in the message center. The stop lights illuminate. Releasing the EPB switch, or pressing the accelerator pedal, releases the EPB.

The following 3 users liked this post by ponderosajack:
angelboing (01-22-2021), Disco5tv (01-28-2021), gmfain (01-22-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 09:27 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ponderosajack

I checked out porter field and they all appear to be R4-S lol

Old 01-26-2021, 03:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Not sure what you mean by that. The R4S is a great brake pad.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

R4-S is a particular brake pad type from Porterfield that is ideal for this sort of application. High performance for street use. Low dust. Won't eat up the rotors fast

Don't confuse it with the R4 which is the race track version and does not perform well unless hot (ie great for races, not for street use)

Quick Reply: Brake replacement