Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Tow Package install, programming and components question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Tow Package install, programming and components question

Hello,

Hoping someone who has had the OEM tow kit (VPLRT0174) installed at the dealer might be able to answer a couple questions. I contacted my local dealer and they ordered in the kit needed, they did the install and say they completed the programming update.
  1. The kit shown on the official LR accessories page under that part number shows an insert (item "D") that fits in the back under the floor to store the hitch when not in use. I didn't receive the insert, and they dealer said they didn't see it in the parts received, but were going to look in to it. They never got back to me. Has anyone else received this part?
  2. The programming done by the dealer didn't seem to affect anything on the truck that I can see. I have a 2018 Discovery HSE LUX with only a backup camera (no surround), but was told that once programming was updated with the tow package, there would be an option in the camera menu to use the rear camera for backing up to a trailer hitch, but no change here. Also when plugging in a trailer's wiring harness, there should now be a light on the dash that illuminates confirming a connection. I've only tried plugging in a 4 pin utility trailer, but no light as described in the manual.
  3. Anyone had an issue with the dealer installing the wiring incorrectly? My trailers turn signals activate opposite to the truck, not sure if it's an issue on the trailer side or the truck side...new trailer and new hitch.
Any thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Dealer Tow Package install, programming and components question-e201021.jpg   Dealer Tow Package install, programming and components question-e220623.jpg  
Old 03-20-2022, 11:33 AM
Drifting
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Cannot comment on missing parts. I haven’t seen those parts on USA cars, but maybe I missed it.

camera doesn’t look any different

when trailer is hooked up and you use turn signals a different symbol is illuminated on dash, but other than that no difference that I know of.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoinFernie (03-23-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 04:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I installed the kit myself and had dealer do the programming. The only insert I know of is a rubber plug that goes in the the which when you are not towing. As far as the opposite tail lights I don't see that being in the Disco. The hitch comes with a pre installed harness that just connects to an electrical connector under the bumper cover.

The camera is a different issue. I have never been able to get the center alignment line to come on. I know all else works because I get a message when I connect asking if a trailer has been connected. Also, I had to add some resistors to my led trailer lights so the Disco would detect it and show the trailer turn indicator on the dash.

I have a 2017 HSE TD6 wit surround camera Maybe the early years dont have the trailer line option.

DiscoinFernie (03-23-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 08:45 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 22 was ordered with the tow package and I have the hard foam insert. I've removed it because from the shape of the forms/cutouts, it seems to be made to store the UK version of the removable tow ball, the gooseneck one. Also, the wasted space in the foam means there's more space to store things without it there. You can surely make a more space efficient one yourself, don't sweat it.

DiscoinFernie (04-01-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 12:11 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n559br

The camera is a different issue. I have never been able to get the center alignment line to come on. I know all else works because I get a message when I connect asking if a trailer has been connected. Also, I had to add some resistors to my led trailer lights so the Disco would detect it and show the trailer turn indicator on the dash.

I have a 2017 HSE TD6 wit surround camera Maybe the early years dont have the trailer line option.
I also have a 2018 TD6 and was looking for the trailer hitch support line. finally I found it at the trailer sub-menue, then open options/adjust (the two gear- symbol). in the new sub-page there is a option for camera setting where you can set the lines for reversing path etc. Or you can turn on the trailer hitch line alternatively. So it‘s either reverse lines with solo car or the special trailer help line. Unfortunately this is not done automatically, so each time you have to change manually.

hope this helps

DiscoinFernie (04-01-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 02:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

That trick did it. I finally saw the hitch assist line following you guidance.

Thanks.