Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Systems Fault 2017 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 02:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chucktastic
Did you get the DPF/DEF issues sorted out that you were having a few months ago? Three of those codes are the first, second, and third low DEF warning (including the two permanent/current codes) and one is a DPF inefficiency code.
No, CEL went off a few days later and never came back on.

Hoping a fuel filter solves the fueling issue. Could make sense.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Fuel rail not fully pressurizing after new fuel filter. More diagnostics incoming. Already like $900 in for four hours and a filter….

Old 02-14-2023, 01:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangeman
No, CEL went off a few days later and never came back on.

Hoping a fuel filter solves the fueling issue. Could make sense.
I'm always curious about DEF fluid and how often owners refill it.

From another post in this thread 3 of the codes were due to DEF fluid level warnings.
Did you consistently keep the DEF tank full?

Old 02-14-2023, 05:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Huh. Crank position sensor. Did not expect that. Fuel filter had 16k miles on it so we replaced it anyways and they gave it to me at cost.

Looks like we’re running well now. Heading from NY to Moab on Thursday towing my my winter 911. I’ll try to make a thread of the journey.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by traffictech870
I'm always curious about DEF fluid and how often owners refill it.

From another post in this thread 3 of the codes were due to DEF fluid level warnings.
Did you consistently keep the DEF tank full?
no. I find the def to be very annoying, mostly because of how hard it is to actually fill. I run my def down to 500 miles every time.

I typically only get 2,000-2,500 miles on a filled def tank. I just don’t understand why it’s so hard to fill without it overflowing.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:30 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make one of these. No more over flowing the DEF tank

Old 02-15-2023, 02:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by giddy-up
Make one of these. No more over flowing the DEF tank
omg thank you 😂

Old 02-16-2023, 10:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I never actually fill it completely up. At least I don't think so.

I let it run down to 500 or 1k miles then put 1"box" of def fluid in. It doesn't overfill and still gives me plenty of range.

Old 02-16-2023, 12:55 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought one of these half gallon containers yesterday; I plan to convert it to a funnel. MY LR dealer was out of stock and they sent me to the VW dealer. They had them in stock with the LR part number on the bottle. I think I will try cutting a hole in the middle of the bottom with a hole saw bit instead of cutting off the entire bottom. I'm thinking a two inch hole; it only has to be big enough to put the def nozzle or the funnel end from the box inside the hole. I think it will splash less and the air breather pipe will be covered. I will also have some of the bottom left to push down on to open the valve while filling.
I haven't done it yet as I haven't hit the 500 mile warning, but I'll let you know how it goes.
I looked at the Peak AdBlue and so many of the boxes have no code date at all and the boxes that do have a date seem to have again changed the format to make it undecipherable. I found Pilot/Flying J brand that has a simple code date (month, day and year) and says it meets the ISO 22241-1 standard.
I asked some of the truck stops about the pump def and they said they go through so much that they actually make their own locally by mixing water and urea
to fill the tanks several times a week. I've read that the def system on our JLR cars will trigger a fault if we add def that does not contain the correct ratio of water and urea so I'm nervous to use the pump def. The box def may be more likely to meet standard but I don't know for sure.

Old 02-16-2023, 02:44 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the whole saw idea. Report back once you test it out.
I buy my DEF from VW dealer as it is closer to me than the LR dealer. VW also sells a 2.5 gallon jug. It has the manufactured date clearly printed on the bottle. Part Number: GUS052910A3
I wouldn't trust one of the truck stop DEF dispensers.

Quick Reply: Engine Systems Fault 2017 Diesel