Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 08:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Front Brakes

Please see attached file for Front Brakes.
When I did mine it was very easy and quick. Same as any other vehicle I've done.
You can skip Removal Step 4. No need to disconnect brake fluid line.
Very gentle pressure required to push piston back in to make room for new pads.
Be sure to monitor brake fluid reservoir - do not let it overflow. Mine did not.
Did not need any parts besides brake pads an one wear sensor.
You do not need to replace your wear sensor (front left caliper only) unless it has triggered the brake light.
But the sensor can be brittle and can break during removal.
You don't have to remove it but it was easier than leaving it in place and I broke mine and had to replace it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Front Brakes.pdf (1,010.3 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by ponderosajack; 05-16-2021 at 08:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bkjecu94 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 06:59 AM
Rho
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much.

Old 05-20-2021, 03:40 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I did all 4 corners when replacing our brakes last year. According to the service manual, only the rear caliper bolts need to be replaced. The fronts can be reused, but use some blue (medium strength) thread-locker for good measure.

The fronts were way easier in comparison to the rear due to not having to deal with the parking brake. I too did have to replace the brake pad sensor since I snapped it (doh!), so you may want to plan for that. It was super cheap anyway. Also, those stock caliper bolts were on there TIGHT! To me, it felt like it was tighter than the printed torque spec, but perhaps there was some thread-locker from the factory (can't remember since it was over a year ago.)

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2021, 06:22 PM
Rho
4wd Low

Just wondering. Were the front caliper bolts the same size/part number as the rear? I think I won't be replacing the rotors but just asking for future reference. I planned to replace all four at the same time but had I had ordered the parts online (Amazon) and the vendor sent incompatible parts and would not respond fast enough or not at all. I see the front outer pad has a cylindrical protrusion on it. But the part I received did not. So I figured it was not compatible so I sent it back. I hope to replace the front before the break light light goes on to save me from snaking myself into that wheel well. By the way, while I had the rear wheels off I went ahead and washed the inner wheel well. My what a difference without that black dust.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:06 AM
Rho
4wd Low
Default Finally

Finally did the front brakes. Thanks Ponderosajack for the torque specs. I used Brembo brake parts off of Amazon. The seller was very helpful in getting me the right parts. The braking is smooth no squeaks. The caliper carrier bolts were tight. I used an 18” braker bar and a metal tube to crack it loose and to tighten it again. There was some adhesive on the pasds I suppose its to hold them in place. The dust buildup is like night and day between the original pads and the aftermarket ones.

The rear wheels after 1 month with the aftermarket pads.

The front wheels still with the original pads compared to the rear wheels with the aftermarket pads. The dust buildup is like night and day.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for posting the manual. I was planning on doing that job this fall.