Sponsored by:

Headrest Removal - Automatic Headrests

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headrest Removal - Automatic Headrests

Hello,

We received our 2017 Disco HSE yesterday (super awesome) with the automatic headrests. After much confusion, we were finally able to remove the 2nd row headrest, only to find that there is a cord for automating the folding of the headrest. Is anyone familiar with how easy/difficult it is to remove that cord's connection?

Reason for removal is that the headrests default position is at an angle that pushes a booster seat/child seat forward a bit. And, makes it more difficult to secure the rear tether.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:53 AM
1st Gear

Did you get anywhere with this? Ive been struggling to remove the third row electric headrest from my 2018 discovery. How did you manage to remove yours? And then what did you do with the cord with yours?
I never thought it would be so difficult to fit car seats into a discovery!

Old 01-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Overlanding

Was not able to solve this, but it proved to not be an issue with the car seat.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 234 Likes on 163 Posts

3rd row might not have the electric wire since the headrest doesn't fold electrically.
But I haven't figured out how to remove them either. Would love to remove them to make some extra storage space when 3rd row is folded.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
3rd row might not have the electric wire since the headrest doesn't fold electrically.
But I haven't figured out how to remove them either. Would love to remove them to make some extra storage space when 3rd row is folded.
Perhaps it depends on the spec. But my 3rd row headrests drop electronically. The whole seat fold is electric.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 234 Likes on 163 Posts

Maybe mine do too, I never raise them so can't recall.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anybody get an electric headrest removed yet? Is there a disconnect for the cord?

Old 03-20-2022, 02:15 PM
1st Gear
Default 2nd Row Electric Headrest Removal - how?

Originally Posted by slobdogg
Hello,

We received our 2017 Disco HSE yesterday (super awesome) with the automatic headrests. After much confusion, we were finally able to remove the 2nd row headrest, only to find that there is a cord for automating the folding of the headrest. Is anyone familiar with how easy/difficult it is to remove that cord's connection?

Reason for removal is that the headrests default position is at an angle that pushes a booster seat/child seat forward a bit. And, makes it more difficult to secure the rear tether.
Hi there! I any chance you can share how you removed the 2nd row electric head rests? I would like to move the middle head rest so I can see out our back window.

From what I have seen on LR site, it’s not possible? Any help to get it removed would be appreciated!

Old 03-20-2022, 02:40 PM
8th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also discovered the wire/cable when trying to remove a headrest. I never was able to remove it.

For those of you struggling to remove the headrest (no solution for the cable), this video was really helpful:

The following users liked this post:
TheManMac (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 07:13 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It IS possible to remove the 2nd row electric middle head rest, including the electric cable. Pull down the middle arm rest. Behind this and against the back seat (not on the back of the arm rest), is a plastic panel. Pry this from the top and pull forward. It attaches in four connections and they will pop out. Pull this panel down enough to get access behind it, or remove completely. You will see an electric cord coming down from the headrest. Follow until you see a connection on the left. Disconnect. Pull the cord free so it is hanging loose.

Next, the headrest bars will have 2 plastic collars where the bars go into the seat. The collar on right (as you face the rear) will have a visible button. The left has a button too, but it is under the collar. Both have to be pressed simultaneously. In order to get to the left button, pry off the collar using something plastic (so you don't damage anything). Pry around the edge until it pops up. You will see the button. Press both buttons inward and pull the headrest from the seat. The headrest will pull out and then the cable. The square connection on the end of the electric cord is difficult to fit up through the hole, but it will. I inserted a thin screwdriver down the hole in order to guide it up and out.

Put the plastic panel back in place making sure the four connections are pressed in. Use caution when pushing the panel back in place. The edges are sharp and may scratch leather upholstery. Good luck!

Last edited by nwr1967; 01-19-2023 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Headrest Removal - Automatic Headrests