Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Windshield Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 02:41 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heated Windshield Retrofit

This possible? I asked the parts guy he said its not BUT I know that doesn't necessarily mean its not.
I know you'd need switch panel and the windshield anyone know if the wiring is there?

Old 01-08-2021, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I'd be interested too if you find out.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I almost wish I didn't have the heated windshield, for the few times it is needed all year....You have to look through the "mesh" that makes headlights fuzzy and generally noticeable even in daylight. I would take a new LR for a test drive before making a change...I really don't think it works all that well in the first place.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I had it in my LR3 and it worked okay except the wipers could still ice up when at the bottom. I could see the wires but they didn't bother me. Some vehicles have some heat strips at the bottom to keep the parked wipers defrosted. I don't know if that works but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
I had it in my LR3 and it worked okay except the wipers could still ice up when at the bottom. I could see the wires but they didn't bother me. Some vehicles have some heat strips at the bottom to keep the parked wipers defrosted. I don't know if that works but it sounds like a good idea to me.
There is a setting for winter mode for the wipers I believe which stops them from going down so they stay on the heated element for when you use it.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

In case anyone is wondering. The winter mode setting for the wipers is accessible through the dashboard menu under Convenience features.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

If you can’t retrofit it, you might consider fitting a heated washer fluid system. I bought GM parts for that and installed them on my old Jeep Wrangler, it worked pretty well on an icy screen and gave better day to day cleaning too...

Old 01-11-2021, 03:15 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP – don’t know if it’s possible, but if it is it’s probably cost prohibitive.
I had my heated windshield replaced as a result of the infamous leaking windshield issue.
They don’t publish pricing on warranty work, but my service advisor said the glass alone was ~ $1800 or so.
Cost aside, it works brilliantly...it’s really a great feature.
Melts the snow on those days when you first get into the car after a snowfall.
Better still, it de-ices the glass on those cold, wet-snow wintery driving days where you would otherwise go
through a whole tank of washer fluid trying to keep the glass clear and free of ice.
When I first got the car, all I could see were the wires in the glass...I thought “oh boy...this isn’t going to work for me”.
It didn’t take long though before the wires blended in and I didn’t notice them any longer.
Regarding other vehicles with heat strips at the bottom...I had this on a Lexus GX460.
It worked “ok”, but really only served to keep the wipers from freezing to the glass in their resting position and melted
a bit of snow and ice from that 1” area at the bottom of the glass. Kind of useless if you ask me.
Regarding the winter mode setting in the D5...it only engages when the car is shut off...it has the wipers rest a few inches
above their normal resting position. When you start the vehicle, the wipers return to their normal resting position.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Where is that winter mode setting that engages when the car is shut off? I do not see this mentioned in my manual. Also looked at the online manual for a 2020 model year and didn't see it.
The only setting I could find is how tho put them in service mode to enable changing wiper blades.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the winter pack and I am unsure if it’s any different without it.

Dashboard Menu: Vehicle Settings -> Convenience features -> Wiper settings -> Winter wiper park

Quick Reply: Heated Windshield Retrofit