New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to trickle charge Battery in Disco V?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 09:13 AM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How to trickle charge Battery in Disco V?

Hello all, I am new to the world of Land Rover but excited as well.

How can you connect a trickle charger to the 12volt battery? Where is the battery? The manual says battery must be removed and it should be done by a dealer. It won’t even say where battery is.

I just picked up a certified pre-owned 2017 Disco and was in the garage last night intending to sit in the front seat and just play/ familiarize myself with the Intouch Pro system. But with the engine not running, the system kept saying it would shut down in 3 minutes to conserve battery life.

There must be some way for owners to charge battery on their own. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-26-2019, 11:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

There has to be a way to bypass that. I can’t imagine a new car today not allowing you to sit in it on battery power for more than three minutes before shutting down.
Back to the OP though, a battery maintainer is very easy to install but they are only needed if your car is sitting for weeks/months without being driven. There is no need to install one otherwise.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:23 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by stillruns
There has to be a way to bypass that. I can’t imagine a new car today not allowing you to sit in it on battery power for more than three minutes before shutting down.
Back to the OP though, a battery maintainer is very easy to install but they are only needed if your car is sitting for weeks/months without being driven. There is no need to install one otherwise.
Thank you for the reply, glad to be here learning from you all. Maybe I should have been more specific. I am very familiar with battery chargers and tenders (I currently have a motorcycle, another car, a lawn mower, and an airplane on them now). What I’m wondering is, why does the manual state that the battery has to be removed to be charged? And it can only be done by a dealer...quote “If the vehicle’s battery should require charging, the battery must be removed from the vehicle. Consult a retailer/authorized repairer” . That seems very complex for such a simple task of using a charger/tender.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 156 Likes on 124 Posts

The electronics in modern cars are very sensitive so as a precaution they are telling you to remove it. But the battery is charged all the time when the car is running. Use a quality trickle charger and you will be fine.

The error you're getting suggests that the battery is low. Perhaps been sitting on the lot and not had a chance to charge fully in a while. Else maybe a failing battery. Try charging it to full and if you continue to have issues then look at having the battery replaced

Old 01-26-2019, 07:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Battery

I am only going to comment on the battery location. The battery is located in the back right side behind the side panel in cargo area. There is also a set of terminals under the hood for jumper cables.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

There is your answer. If there are accesss terminals under the hood, that would likely be where you would connect your charger.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

There are access posts under the hood for jumpstartng the D5, I’m sure those can be used with a good battery trickle charger.
The issue however seems to be that the battery needs a proper charge, as it should take more than a few minutes for the low battery warning to kick in. Perhaps take her for a nice long drive 30 miles or more and see how it goes afterwards.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:32 AM
Mudding

Good morning all, thanks for all the tips, and help. Very appreciative. I will trying the posts under the hood tonight.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

You are correct about the 3 minutes or so. It doesn't mean your battery is low or weak. It can be fully charged but you can't sit in the D5 and listen to the radio without it shutting down in a few minutes, I can't recall how many, but certainly less than 10 minutes. Then you can't just turn it back on. You can if you restart it briefly. I'd love to disable that feature.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I tested it out today:
Drove D5. Parked. Pressed Start/Stop button once to turn off engine. The radio continued to run for 9 minutes, then gave a message it would shut down in 1 minute, and it did shut down at the 10 minute mark.
I pressed the radio power button once. Radio came on for 9 minutes, gave message it would shut down in 1 minute, and it did shut down at the 10 minute mark.
I repeated this 2 more times and got it to run for a total of 30 minutes. I believe it would have repeated more iterations but I had to start the D5 to run an errand.
I don't see this procedure to be a problem if you want to listen to the radio while parked. I believe most modern vehicles will turn off the radio after an amount of time.

Quick Reply: How to trickle charge Battery in Disco V?