Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IIDTool BT

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 07:25 PM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default IIDTool BT

Has anyone used the IIDTool from Gap Diagnostics? It seems like a really powerful tool, but it still needs a lot of update for the D5. I need something to reset the service reminder, and when I add bigger tires it will allow me to foregoing the lift rods while in the future, allow me to change some settings like speedometer.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

You don't need any tool to reset the service reminder. The steps are listed in this forum and can be done without any purchased items.

That IIDTool is quite an expensive way to adjust the height. It is very simple and inexpensive to swap the height adjustment lift rods. You can buy rods that will lift it 1.5 inches or 2.0 inches.

There are two places where larger tires can rub. One is the inner fender well depending upon the diameter and profile of the tire. Lift rods can help with this issue.
The other is where the inner edge of the tire clears the suspension spindle (the suspension component that holds the entire wheel assembly). Some members have reported rubbing with some tire brands/sizes while other brands in the same size do not rub. Lift rods (or height adjustment) will not address this interferance location.

It appears that Lucky8 has found 33 inchers that don't rub at the spindle but other brands of 33 inchers may rub the spindle.

If you do install 33 inchers, please post the results for the rest of us.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

We have Atturo Trail Blade MT on compomotive wheels in 33x12.50 on the D5. The added width is definitely a factor in rubbing on the fender liner.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:41 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
You don't need any tool to reset the service reminder. The steps are listed in this forum and can be done without any purchased items.

That IIDTool is quite an expensive way to adjust the height. It is very simple and inexpensive to swap the height adjustment lift rods. You can buy rods that will lift it 1.5 inches or 2.0 inches.

There are two places where larger tires can rub. One is the inner fender well depending upon the diameter and profile of the tire. Lift rods can help with this issue.
The other is where the inner edge of the tire clears the suspension spindle (the suspension component that holds the entire wheel assembly). Some members have reported rubbing with some tire brands/sizes while other brands in the same size do not rub. Lift rods (or height adjustment) will not address this interferance location.

It appears that Lucky8 has found 33 inchers that don't rub at the spindle but other brands of 33 inchers may rub the spindle.

If you do install 33 inchers, please post the results for the rest of us.
I appreciate the quick response. I tried the service reset as outlined after different oil changes. It never reset to anything above 5K miles. I finally took it in after the second oil change and had the dealer reset it. They told me only they can reset it. idk...

Thanks for the details on the rubbing points. I was out tonight with a tape measure tying to see if this would fit. I’m hopeful 😀

My thought is since I already need this to reset the reminder, and it’s good to have a diagnostic tool anyway, instead of putting $100-200 towards lift rods put that towards the IIDTool and then I can change the height settings at will and (eventually for D5) I will be able to set the tire size for the speedometer so it’s accurate with the bigger tires. There’s a noticeable difference I speed going from the stock tires to the 33” ones.

I’ll definitely post about what I end up doing.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Proud Rhino Rods are only $68. Just saying lol.

The GAP tool is definitely an excellent choice. We always have one with us on the trail. Give us a call on the GAP tool and let us know your from the forum and we might be able wrangle a little better price

Old 02-10-2020, 08:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sales@lk8parts.com
Proud Rhino Rods are only $68. Just saying lol.

The GAP tool is definitely an excellent choice. We always have one with us on the trail. Give us a call on the GAP tool and let us know your from the forum and we might be able wrangle a little better price
I’ll definitely do that! I have some other questions for you, too, about your winch tray. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
ArmyRover (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,540 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Is it bad that I’m slightly jealous of you D5 guys? Lol

BchBum11511 (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

What I previously called the suspension spindle is actually called the wheel knuckle and is an aluminum forging. This is on the front wheels.
I'd have to check to see if there is any component on the rear wheels that have a clearance issue.

Please note that if you install larger tires, some of them are much heavier than others and that extra weight may negatively affect the ride and fuel mileage.

As for speedometer error. My Blizzaks seem to be about 3 percent undersized thus I am going about 1 mph slower than indicated at 30 mph, 2 mph at 60.
But my summer tires are 32's and about 3 percent oversized, so actual is about 1 mph faster than indicated at 30 mph, 2 mph at 60.
It's easy enough to know how fast I'm actually going without having to recalibrate the system, though that would be nice to do.

Last edited by ponderosajack; 02-10-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:14 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sales@lk8parts.com
We have Atturo Trail Blade MT on compomotive wheels in 33x12.50 on the D5. The added width is definitely a factor in rubbing on the fender liner.
@Sales@lk8parts.com, do you have a full-size spare underneath?

Old 02-15-2020, 06:24 AM
Three Wheeling

We do not, we carry the matching spare on the roof rack.

BchBum11511 (02-15-2020)

Quick Reply: IIDTool BT