New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover needed software update NOT covered by CPO warranty?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 07:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Land Rover needed software update NOT covered by CPO warranty?!

I have a 2017 Disco TD6 I purchased at 6800 miles as a CPO. It’s largely had no real issues but lately I’ve been having USB disconnects and a TPMS System Fail that will pop up for a week then go away for a a couple weeks then pop back up. So with me being out of town I took it in before my trip to have it looked at. I was called yesterday and told the TPMS system is failing because it needs a major software update and that update was going to cost about $400 because warranty won’t cover needed software updates. I told the guy I’ve owned the vehicle for 3 hrs and never had this problem before and his response was “it’s software, ya know, can go bad over time so it needs to be replaced.” I told him software doesn’t just go bad so whatever it is it’s on LRs end. Has anyone heard of this nonsense? It’s still sitting there and I wouldn’t agree to pay it.

Old 10-27-2021, 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

That's frustrating. CPO certainly doesn't cover everything that the factory warranty does. And I understand they may choose not to include software updates which take them time to install and resolve issues they may cause. But I would challenge them that your problem is a 'software update'. Sure - they may need to reflash the software. But that's to fix a broken tpms system, not an 'update' to software

So I would politely pushback and then ask them to escalate to corporate as this doesn't sound like a voluntary 'update'. They even say it's 'critical' at the top.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I suspect it is true that software updates might be excluded from the CPO warranty. But your relationship with the service department might get you these updates without charge.
Try being super nice to them. Bring in some donuts or bagels. Worth a try.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
I suspect it is true that software updates might be excluded from the CPO warranty. But your relationship with the service department might get you these updates without charge.
Try being super nice to them. Bring in some donuts or bagels. Worth a try.

but how does a TRPS ECUs software suddenly not work? That’s like saying your phone stopped working because the software went bad. Software doesn’t go bad. The hardware it’s on does.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:32 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Call LR North America and open a case. I found them to be helpful on a couple things early on. They can't order the dealer to do it, but they will likely see that this is a gray area at best (I think it's not - this is definitely something they should cover) and just having them contact the dealer might move it in your direction. This seems like something where if they dig a little further into the tech bulletins, they may see some unpromoted internal guidance that this has been seen before and the service dept should update the software.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:46 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Software updates

According to JLR, resales are ‘required’ to have current software updates.
It sounds like your CPO wasn’t.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

I all honesty, a CPO is slightly better than a "car warranty" sold by one of the pesky telemarketers. Why and how.
Why - in case of an incident, you don't have to deal with some customer rep in an undisclosed location where you have to be on hold for hours - at best and you don't have to wait for a "repair approval" or for a check for months.
How - whatever is covered is OEM parts.
When I say "whatever is covered" is where the most important part comes in. On a CPO, a LOT of parts are not covered. Subsequent damage from an uncovered part, is also not covered. Think for a second: you have a hose that busted while you were driving. Most of CPOs in Land Rover do not cover rubber hoses (really !). When that hose caused a subsequent damage, say ... your pump seized because of that hose which busted, the damage will not be covered. The said pump may be covered in a normal break down, but because it was the hose (uncovered) that caused the pump's failure, the pump now becomes uncovered as a result of the initial fault, and in fact the entirety of the damage.
There are CPOs, and then there are CPOs .... you need to read that very careful what they cover and what not. Or better yet, have a mechanic read it for you. The devil is in the fine print.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:40 AM
Mudding
Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

First thing I would do is disconnect the battery for a day and let everything reset. Computers need a hard reset every once in a while and it may fix the problem. Sounds crazy, but I had all sorts of software 'issues' that my dealer could not figure out. I finally just disconnected it and when reconnected/started my glitches were gone and have not come back. 4 months ago... kj

Old 10-30-2021, 03:14 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
I all honesty, a CPO is slightly better than a "car warranty" sold by one of the pesky telemarketers. Why and how.
Why - in case of an incident, you don't have to deal with some customer rep in an undisclosed location where you have to be on hold for hours - at best and you don't have to wait for a "repair approval" or for a check for months.
How - whatever is covered is OEM parts.
When I say "whatever is covered" is where the most important part comes in. On a CPO, a LOT of parts are not covered. Subsequent damage from an uncovered part, is also not covered. Think for a second: you have a hose that busted while you were driving. Most of CPOs in Land Rover do not cover rubber hoses (really !). When that hose caused a subsequent damage, say ... your pump seized because of that hose which busted, the damage will not be covered. The said pump may be covered in a normal break down, but because it was the hose (uncovered) that caused the pump's failure, the pump now becomes uncovered as a result of the initial fault, and in fact the entirety of the damage.
There are CPOs, and then there are CPOs .... you need to read that very careful what they cover and what not. Or better yet, have a mechanic read it for you. The devil is in the fine print.
True points on needing to understand what the coverage actually is because CPO can vary. FWIW, my CPO D5 had extended LR warranty. Same coverage as new warranty. Same warranty, just added years. I think JLR dealers can do different (3rd party) warranty if they want. So, CPO is one thing. Warranty is another. And *what* warranty is a 3rd. Just info for anyone shopping the used LRs… I saw a lot of listings when I was shopping around and they seemed intentionally misleading (from dealers). They all use the same language, but it doesn’t refer to the same terms.

Old 10-30-2021, 07:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Are you sure? I don't think there is any Land Rover warranty that gives you the full same terms as original factory for an extended period. The LR service dept has a sheet with a very specific list of what is and is not covered. In general it's very good and plenty is covered. And they usually flex a bit. But there are plenty of items that are excluded.

Quick Reply: Land Rover needed software update NOT covered by CPO warranty?!