Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lease termination questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 09:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Lease termination questions

With the increased residual values of certain used vehicles at the moment I got to wondering what mine might be worth, and I can’t really check dealer inventory as they don’t seem to have any…
So I looked it up on KBB as a trade-in which seemed to suggest 53-57 so I figure 55.
I haven’t bothered to get the buy out quote re the lease but just the contract residual buy out price and the remaining payments come in well under the numbers above so I got to wondering if there was a way I could terminate the lease early and walk away owing nothing as the car would be desirable as dealer used stock in the current environment?
I don’t mind keeping it until the lease ends in a years time as I love the vehicle but if it was possible to walk away I would be tempted.
Anyone know if such a thing is possible in the current climate? I have never terminated a lease early so I don’t know if the dealers hands are tied even if they wanted it. (Beyond me obviously taking the buyout option and then immediately selling it on to them which is probably not worth the hassle)
I have emailed them to see what they have to say but I was just curious re anyone else’s experiences…

Old 06-05-2021, 02:26 PM
Rock Crawling

So I got a call from the dealership today outlining the process for early termination and the simple fact is that they will pay me a few thousand dollars to bring the vehicle back as they are desperate for stock as I expected and they can still make really good money in it. That was their good news.
Their bad news was that they would be unable to sell me a new Land Rover of any kind this year as they just don’t have any. Herein lies the problem for anyone hoping to make money on the sale of their used car of course
I’m going to take my first test drive in a Tesla tomorrow (for reasons I won’t bore everyone with) and it *seems* I can get one of those in 12-14 weeks if I order now so we would be down to just my wife’s car in the meantime but that’s ok as I’m still working from home anyway. And the money from LR would cover the down payment too so financially it would be a really clean swap albeit a serious step down in luxury…

Old 06-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well done! If it's worth their while, they'll release you from remainder of the lease. In our experience we walked away from a JLR lease with a year left & were predicting to be 20K over KM limit into our current ride. It's not for everyone's tastes but the best part of leasing is precisely this hedge of residual vs market. Given the weird supply chain anomalies, do you have contingency if the Tesla doesn't show, or can at least Tesla spot you a loaner? And isn't TX making it hard to buy EVs including that ludicrous shipping process? Good luck!

The most extreme case I know of first hand, a few years back a buddy took over an S4 lease from another jurisdiction. He'd had it six months, went fishing & a dealer offered him 10k to walk way, which he did.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:40 PM
Rock Crawling

I don’t really have a contingency if the car doesn’t show up on time, but that said we can easily get by on 1 car at the moment (actually having two is totally unjustifiable truth be told). Needing a second car *may* be a thing by the new year depending on work arrangements, but even then we can figure something out.
Texas has a lot of laws to protect a few rich types in the top 0.001% which is why the clowns in charge really need to go. With demographics changing it’s only a matter of time hence increasing acts of desperation while they’re still in power.
As for the factory here, I don’t think any car I order now will be made there, it will most likely come from Fremont. In either case I’m sure they’ll figure something out.
Theres also a bill being worked on to have EV owners pay a $250-$450 per year tax to the state to make up for the gasoline tax we wouldn’t be paying. Somehow the taxes on electricity have been forgotten about. Funny how tax increases are ok if it would help your polluting friends business prospects…
I’ll be very sorry to see the Discovery go thought, I think it’s a great vehicle but the chance to play with an EV for a while and see how it works is attractive. Plus it does mean I may come back to JLR once they get their EV vehicles and efficiency/range sorted out assuming I actually like the EV experience.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Taxes on Electricity and fuel feed two different purposes. I get your point but the ev tax is to pay for roads that ev uses that the gas cars pay for at the pump. That is becoming a thing in a lot of states

Old 06-06-2021, 08:25 AM
Rock Crawling

That’s true, at the moment.
Their current proposal of a fixed annual tax is not reasonable however on two fronts:
1. If you don’t drive much you’re paying a lot more tax than you would if you were paying for gasoline.
2. if you do drive average miles you’re still paying a lot more tax than you would if you drove a gasoline car.

At a tax of $250 per year for an EV up to 9,000 miles that’s 2.778c per mile if you do 9,000 mikes per year or double that if you do half the mileage etc.

Gasoline is taxed at 20c per gallon. That means if you do 9,000 miles per year in a gasoline car to pay $250 in tax your vehicle would have to use 1,250 gallons. That’s 7.2mpg.
So they want to tax EV’s for using the roads as if they were the equivalent of a 7mpg vehicle. Given that any gasoline vehicle does far better than 7mpg, I’d say 4 times that on a like for like basis that seems like a punishment tax to me.
$250 per year is wildly high, $80 per year would be more like it and even that is unfair if you drive less than $9,000 miles per year.
They will need to find a way to tax EVs to pay for road infra, however a fixed annual tax like this imho is not the way to go as it’s not usage based. In addition the cleaner vehicle shouldn’t be paying the same rate as a 7mpg heavy polluter. And no I’m not just saying this because I’m considering an EV, I’m not looking for a free ride and the $250 per year is nothing anyway. It’s the principle and why they’re actually doing it. As pointed out the state is inherently against EVs for other reasons.
Given virtually everyone in Texas has a car it makes sense to figure out how much electricity would be used to charge every car in Texas to cover the miles driven here. Then tax electricity per kWh based on that.
Or if that’s problematic and a fixed tax is necessary then add it to the annual registration cost of every vehicle including gasoline and remove the gasoline tax. But you can’t tax an EV higher than a gasoline car, that’s beyond stupid.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 06-06-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:21 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow that's brutal. Road usage fees are better done from actual usage. A Tesla takes up just as much room on a freeway as a dually one ton. OR & CA have both trialled fuel rebates but they tax you on not just how far you drive, but where and when. Makes sense that you recoup road spend along those lines, otherwise you really are building a church for easter. I would have thought free market TX would have done the same thing. But after the grid debacle, it's clear it's not really free market but some weird cronyism.

Glad you enjoyed your Disco & good luck with whatever happens. We feel our TD is irreplaceable, we're even thinking trading in for a Rangey TD until JLR can sort their EV business out.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:23 PM
Rock Crawling

We’ll really miss our Land Rover.
A Tesla is a real step down.

I’ll be back when they have an all electric model and hopefully the third party charging network has improved.

The following users liked this post:
dinkeldorf (06-07-2021)
Old 02-16-2022, 11:00 AM
Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

sorry wrong thread

Last edited by new to landrover; 02-16-2022 at 11:03 AM.