New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Cycle Refresh of the Discovery (2021 Model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 08:02 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Mid-Cycle Refresh of the Discovery (2021 Model)

Here are a few articles that popped up on the web today/yesterday about a mid-cycle update of the Discovery. The articles suggest the 2021 models would probably make their debut at the end of 2020.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/20/...ll-add-hybrid/
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-r...er-in-pipeline
https://carbuzz.com/news/land-rovers...g-a-big-update

----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Old 01-21-2020, 08:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Due to tooling costs there won’t be any major changes to the bodywork. There is an outside possibility they could add a second screen to the center console but I consider it very unlikely.
The engine choices of the Defender make sense, and given I don’t like the price or complexity of the hybrid 6 cylinder I’m glad I got my 19 with 3.0 supercharged.
I’ll be even more glad if they start offering 4 cylinder turbos as I hate turbo lag off the line which every single turbo car ever made has to some extent. I drove the new Evoque first and hated the turbo engine in that, even with the mild hybrid tech. (Mind you the ride quality was just as much a nail in its coffin).

The following users liked this post:
Tucker Woods (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The 2020's already have slightly re-styled rear tail lights. The bottom half is clear vs. red.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:37 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Definitely eager to learn more. I have a MY20 on order due to be built in late February with an anticipated late April delivery. Unless they offer the Sd6 twin turbo diesel, or more likely, the new Ingenium I6 diesel from the new Defender, I don't see myself waiting for MY21. Definitely don't want anything to do with an electric hybrid of sorts.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

The best solution for al of this is just getting the diesel. My boss has the gas and I have the diesel. I’d never ever trade.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I can see how the mild hybrid can be attractive for people doing lots of short commutes, but not sure how much the complexity is worth it. Honestly I would have preferred the 5.0 V8 to the SC V6, but it was not an option (seems to be going away on all models down the line). The DEF diesels won't fly with all the short trips ours has to do, it is my wife's daily and she didn't like the idea of a diesel, etc.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:28 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by andries
The DEF diesels won't fly with all the short trips ours has to do, it is my wife's daily and she didn't like the idea of a diesel, etc.
My take on the JLR oil dilution issue is that it really isn't as big of a deal in the Discovery V's, in large part because you shouldn't be pushing your OCI's much past 6k to 7k miles anyways. STJLR.03.5005 is a low SAPS 5w30 with a low'ish HTHS in the low 3.0's. Not sure of the specific Castrol specs but because of the low SA requirement (so as not to plug the DPF any further,) the TBN is lower than say a BMW LL-04 or MB 229.51/2 spec oil. Because of this, 6k to 7k is all you want to push your OCI's out to anyways, and that should be ample to offset any dilution of the oil by the SCR.

Modern diesels are actually ideal for city driving because of their low-end torque; they are like an old big-block motor with gobs of torque right off idle.

Last edited by AirRyan; 01-22-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake Anderson
The 2020's already have slightly re-styled rear tail lights. The bottom half is clear vs. red.
That’s a missing option. The full red taillights are referred to as ‘signature taillights’ and come standard on the HSE and up.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

The driving characteristics makes them nice for city driving but diesels have never liked short trips (take ages for the thick blocks to warm up and fuel consumption suffers accordingly) and things have only gotten worse with DPF filters and so on.
Unless needed for towing there isn’t much point to buying one over a gas Discovery unless you’ll be doing enough miles (and therefore more highway than city) to justify the purchase cost vs fuel savings.
Where I live and with the miles I do (and kind of miles) I couldn’t justify it, especially with the low gas prices. Back in the UK, the fuel costs could potentially justify it but the kind of miles I was doing did not. I did have a Jag XF 3.0 twin turbo diesel back then but soon realized it was the wrong engine for my use living in London, despite the satisfaction of 67mpg (UK) on rare road trips...
The trouble I’ve read about LR diesels recently has made me glad I didn’t go for one (again due to my usage pattern not because they’re intrinsically bad) and has made me ask myself why I was so disappointed with the lack of a v6 diesel Defender option for the US when it isn’t the right fit for me anyway...

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 01-22-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by andries
I can see how the mild hybrid can be attractive for people doing lots of short commutes, but not sure how much the complexity is worth it. Honestly I would have preferred the 5.0 V8 to the SC V6, but it was not an option (seems to be going away on all models down the line). The DEF diesels won't fly with all the short trips ours has to do, it is my wife's daily and she didn't like the idea of a diesel, etc.
I live in Houston and do mostly short hops. That’s all pure nonsense. If anything it’s better. I average better city than I do Highway (I drive fast). Turn off the auto start/stop when you throw it in gear.

The following users liked this post:
2019D5 (01-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Mid-Cycle Refresh of the Discovery (2021 Model)