Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New custom order Land Rover Discovery 5 Td6

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019 | 01:45 PM
|
Mudding
Default New custom order Land Rover Discovery 5 Td6

Ordered the second week in December, I just verified the order with my dealer earlier this week. Right now, JLR is saying 1/9/20 is the last amendment date possible with an anticipated build date of 2/7/20. I wasn't aware that they have moved all Discovery production over to the new Nitra plant in Slovakia until I saw the build sheet, but I owned a 2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive that was built about 100km to the West in Bratislava, and I was very happy and impressed with the build quality of that vehicle. The new JLR Nitra plant looks to be state-of-the-art and so I am excited for our new diesel powered Discovery 5.

The following users liked this post:
1979rover (12-20-2019)
Old 12-19-2019 | 05:14 PM
Drifting

Great choice! We picked up our Diesel Disco about 6 weeks ago. I custom ordered it as well and it was worth the wait!!

Old 12-19-2019 | 09:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, our 8 [nearly 9] mth wait was a bit extreme but we are still pleased. Only complaint to date is the position sensors do not like icicles.

Pretty minor.

Old 12-20-2019 | 06:54 AM
Pro Wrench

Geez, is that Corey Feldman! I’m old and I don’t like it.

Old 12-20-2019 | 10:52 AM
Rock Crawling

The feedback from others seem to be very positive on the new assembly plant. Our 2019 was still build at Solihill (delivered end Oct 2018), and they seem to have fixed most of the common gremlins by then.

Good luck and enjoy the new D5 when it arrives!!

Old 12-20-2019 | 05:39 PM
Rock Crawling

My 2019 which I think was about April 2019 was built in Slovakia. A bit disappointing as a Brit and there were a few minor production faults but all resolved.

Old 01-03-2020 | 07:14 PM
|
Mudding

Made an amendment to the order going back to the 20" 5011 wheels and added black roof rails. There are just so many more tire options in the 20" size than the 21". Interesting, it moved the dates to the right by about 3 weeks; late February build and a mid-April delivery. If the 2021 D5's have the same Td6 I'll be fine with it, but after realizing that Europe and Australia has had the twin-turbo Sd6 since MY 2019 and then the leaked photos of a Defender presentation saying that it would have a 300hp six-cylinder diesel in MY21 has me seriously on the fence as to whether I should wait for a MY21. The main reason I was attracted to the D5 was the availability of the diesel motor, so the motor is very important to me.

Old 01-03-2020 | 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Maybe. Or they may stop giving the USA any diesels given we don’t get a diesel Defender...

Old 01-04-2020 | 01:44 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
Maybe. Or they may stop giving the USA any diesels given we don’t get a diesel Defender...
Given the current nature/status of JLR right now with their announcement to partner with BMW on future motors (JLR and BMW partnership) combined with this incessant negativity towards diesel in favor of pushing impractical EV's (that I specifically do not want anything to do with that premise of) your notion is not out of the question and is exactly why after looking around the entire country at both used and dealer inventory examples since September, I decided to order my own diesel-powered Disco precisely as I wanted (and could not find) before it was too late. In the leaked Defender news, (Defender will get diesel in US) they were saying that MY21 will get a 296-hp six-cylinder diesel in the US, and while that is, of course, subject to change, one of the things that attracted me to the brand was what I believe to be a shared interest in and proponent of diesel (on top of a legacy of serious off-road chops.)

The new D300 sounds more like their Ingenium product line and less what would be a carryover twin-turbo Sd6 built by Ford-UK that JLR has been using since MY19. One thing of note is that I just don't see JLR offering two separate six-cylinder diesels in North America at the same time (MY21+) as it just costs too much to get them certified by EPA and CARB. If the MY21 Defender does indeed get a six-cylinder diesel in the US, I would expect the Discovery and Range Rover product line to get that motor as well.

As much as I do like BMW (have owned an E39 M5 and an E90 335d, on top of currently owning an F10 M5,) I'd be disappointed if JLR just dumped their investment in their Ingenium motors so quickly in favor of a product line that admittedly, even as much as I am otherwise a fan of BMW and it's engineering, I cannot sit here and testify to their reputation of reliable motors (my own personal ownership has been positive, though.) For now, hopefully JLR is just testing an N63/S63 or newer S68 in a Range Rover test mule (Range Rover mule spied with BMW V8) and anything to do with future motors will be in addition to or after the Ingenium product line has run its useful life.

Last edited by AirRyan; 01-04-2020 at 01:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AirRyan:
David Hirshberg (01-05-2020), Hochdoerffer (01-04-2020)
Old 02-28-2020 | 09:40 AM
|
Mudding

Today is the day, 02.28.20! It's in the afternoon in Slovakia now, and my D5 should probably be mostly completed by now. Added the black pack but kept the silver wheels. Going to either get Falken AT's in OE size, or move up one to the 275 AT's and maybe add the Johnson Rods 1.5" lift. It should look similar to this one in appearance, at least. This has been one of my favorite videos that I have found, even though it's in Russian.

Quick Reply: New custom order Land Rover Discovery 5 Td6