New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New custom order Land Rover Discovery 5 Td6

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020 | 12:13 PM
Mudding

Right there. Exactly. Proliferation of EVs will mean usage based road fees to address the revenue. They're trialing this already in Oregon & California. The future will be time of day and distance based road user fees, and no doubt soon after usage based insurance. I'm a big believer in this; an EV on a road in rush hour blocks just as much traffic as my 19 SE TD.

Originally Posted by andries
Besides local, state and fed gov will cry when they start loosing the revenue form taxes on fossil fuels. Pushing all EV will mean they have to tax something else.

Old 03-08-2020 | 12:22 PM
Mudding

Diesel engines are fine in the cold. Most of Canada's resource industries commercial and light duty fleets are diesel. When it gets really cold (I've seen -40C albeit not in current ride), everyone has remote start.

Back to the cost delta to gas, we're going to repay the diesel upgrade in probably less than two years. And additional range removes weekend price gouge anxiety

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
My dealer only special orders them for the most part.

I would imagine most people in the US buy diesels for towing and given the tow rating on gas and diesel Discos is the same there is no need. Yes the diesel will likely tow better as a driving experience but unless you do a lot of towing can you really justify spending an extra $2k(?) which although cheap for a disease upgrade doesn’t financially add up when looking at gas and diesel prices? How many miles would it take to get that investment back? Also there tend to be fewer diesel pumps at US fuel stations so it’s not convenient.
Granted it has a lot more range from a tank but with plentiful fuel stations how much of a day to day benefit is that? Again, more useful for long distance towing.
Throw in the additional complexity of a Diesel engine with its expensive parts (although with direct injection petrol that may now be even) and the fact that there seems to be more reported issues with Diesel engines than the 3.0SC, plus the VW diesel scandal in the back of the mind, is there really much demand for them here? Especially when people buying new luxury vehicles probably don’t care much about fuel economy anyway (which again goes back to my comment in doing the math on how many miles it takes to break even).
They also take longer to warm up, are a bad buy for people who only make short sub 15 minute trips mostly, and diesel doesn’t like extreme cold which matters to some states.
I’m not saying they’re a bad idea, I’m just suggesting this may be why dealers aren’t stocking them.

Old 03-11-2020 | 07:27 AM
|
Mudding

Update on my build. Order sheet originally said 2/28 but it turns out it was actually built about a week later, on 3/5. Always rather a Thursday than a Friday! Not sure how often that long train out of JLR Slovakia runs, (or even to which port,) but it's now awaiting transport according to my dealer. As many vehicles that are on that train, that looks like a weekly event I would guess.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoNight5 (03-13-2020)
Old 03-11-2020 | 09:16 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dinkeldorf
Diesel engines are fine in the cold. Most of Canada's resource industries commercial and light duty fleets are diesel. When it gets really cold (I've seen -40C albeit not in current ride), everyone has remote start.

Back to the cost delta to gas, we're going to repay the diesel upgrade in probably less than two years. And additional range removes weekend price gouge anxiety

I get super annoyed these days that diesel is more expensive than gas. In fact, just today I saw there was almost a $1 per gallon delta here. Gas has dropped below $2/gallon in Dallas and diesel was $2.89.

Old 03-12-2020 | 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Diesel cost more to make than gas

Old 03-12-2020 | 04:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
Diesel cost more to make than gas
Since when? It's way less refined and damn near heating oil.

Most of the reason the price is higher is supply and demand. They make less of it because they've got the refineries cranking out gas instead. The price is artificially inflated.

Old 03-12-2020 | 06:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by AirRyan
Update on my build. Order sheet originally said 2/28 but it turns out it was actually built about a week later, on 3/5. Always rather a Thursday than a Friday! Not sure how often that long train out of JLR Slovakia runs, (or even to which port,) but it's now awaiting transport according to my dealer. As many vehicles that are on that train, that looks like a weekly event I would guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS9lt1NItRQ

how is the pandemic going to effect orders and shipping?

Old 03-13-2020 | 07:50 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by 1979rover
Since when? It's way less refined and damn near heating oil.

Most of the reason the price is higher is supply and demand. They make less of it because they've got the refineries cranking out gas instead. The price is artificially inflated.
Diesel is down to just over $2 a gallon in the Austin metro area this morning. There are four main variables that go into the equation. Refinery costs, taxes, demand, and seasonality. Both gasoline and diesel are refined from crude oil, so the barrel of oil does impact the price we see at the pump. But diesel fuel is heavier and less volatile than gasoline, which makes it simpler to refine from crude oil. (Although, ULSD may require a little more refining.) In the US, the federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4¢ and diesel it's 24.4¢.In Europe, diesel is taxed less than gasoline.

Part of the reason diesel isn't as volatile (pricing, not flashpoint) as gasoline is because consumers who buy goods (which is pretty much everything we as consumers consume,) are transported on diesel-powered trucks and locomotives. Busses, commercial vehicles, construction vehicles, etc. Consumers may choose to drive less, but many commercial vehicles drive to make a living so that demand is more steady. Also, fuel oil that is used to heat some homes is made from some of the same basic components as diesel, which can effect demand.

Originally Posted by cru_jones
how is the pandemic going to effect orders and shipping?
Ironically, I just sent an email to my dealer earlier this morning to ask. The last I heard from him was on Tuesday evening confirming that the vehicle was indeed built, albeit a few days later than what was originally planned. I did hear Trump say that the 30 day travel ban with Europe was only for people travel and not for goods, so hopefully, it won't have an impact at all on the Discovery.

Last edited by AirRyan; 03-13-2020 at 07:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1979rover (03-13-2020)