Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New D5 Owner Heads Up Regarding N400 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 09:15 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New D5 Owner Heads Up Regarding N400 Recall

Hello everybody, just wanted to drop a quick line regarding the N400 recall that's expected to be announced to owners of 2019-2020 D5's on Jan 8. Copied below -

We picked up our 2020 D5 HSE almost 2 weeks ago. Absolutely love the thing. While on a weekend excursion with family I was driving in a residential neighborhood and all of a sudden the power steering went out, every warning light came on and the vehicle dropped to 5 mph limp mode. It was sketchy, as I almost hit a parked car. Luckily we were only traveling around 25 mph at the time. I had just gone over a series of the largest speed bumps I've ever seen, so maybe that played a roll? I pulled over and the main warning light was Ground Fault. I turned the truck off, then on and just the GF warning and the check engine remained. Then I realized that I couldn't switch from park to drive. The dial wouldn't budge. Turned it off then on again. Same warning lights, but could change to drive, limp mode got us to a side street. It was a Saturday. Called the dealer and informed them that my new 2020 with 762 miles had almost put me into a parked car. They were really decent to deal with. Hooked me up with LR Road Side Assistance who was also really nice to deal with. They sent out a flat bed from a luxury towing company that took the D5 back to the dealer. Sidenote: While waiting for the flat bed (45 min) I sat in the truck, fired it up, and everything seemed fine. No warning lights at all, shifted fine. But the sudden loss of steering prior had spooked me.
Jump forward to Monday. After a little run around and phone tag they told me it had a bad ground and got me a loaner (Discovery Sport). I did some research, came across the N400 Ground Recall. Called service manager, asked him if it was the same thing or if I was about to get a recall notice in the upcoming days. He ran my VIN. said I had no recalls on the vehicle and the N400 recall had already been fixed "at port" but that it did sound oddly similar and he wanted to check something and he'd call me back. He spoke to the techs who told him that the recall had not been done at port. And that was the issue with my truck and that's exactly what they fixed. So, FYI, even if your truck isn't showing any recalls, or recalls that have been corrected, that might not be correct. We got the truck back Tuesday by 3pm. So down from mid-day Saturday to mid-day Tue. Not horrible. Finangling a ride home for my wife, 2 year old, and 76 year old mother in law from the side of the road of my broken down new fancy truck was the biggest headache.

I'm not spoiled on the D5 though. I have friends with RR/LR/JAGS, so I knew I wasn't getting a Toyota..... I'm smitten with the truck and hopefully the next 3 years of lease treat us well.

Last edited by GOODCAT8; 01-07-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2019 D5 crapped out in my garage due to the same issue on a Saturday last July right after I bought it in May. Called my sales guy who put me in touch with LR Roadside and greased the skids to have a loaner waiting. LR Roadside assistance was great to work with and they sent a really professional guy with a clean flatbed rig to take me to the dealership. I learned how to pop the engine cover and put the car in neutral from YouTube. Honestly, where would we be with out YouTube?

They ran diagnostics, etc on Monday am after receipt and had me back on the road Tuesday afternoon. Easy Peasy. Glad to see it is an official recall as the fix itself is pretty quick and easy if they aren't trouble shooting like on mine...Hopefully this is the only glitch as I love the vehicle. I get where the LR3/LR4 folks are coming from in terms of the evolution of the exterior design having taken a strange turn. I had a 2006 LR3 HSE and traded it in on a 2011 LR4 HSE and loved both vehicles; but this D5 feels light years ahead in terms of on road performance. Offroad I doubt there is anything an LR3/4 can do that my Disco cannot. Here's to many miles of happy motoring Goodcat8!

The following 2 users liked this post by ecmgbob:
angelboing (01-07-2021), GOODCAT8 (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 11:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Mine was behaving perfectly but I received the notice in the mail around Christmas, booked it in for New Year’s Eve and they did it.
OP’s experience is why I figured I’d quickly get it done despite no problems as better safe than sorry...

The following users liked this post:
GOODCAT8 (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 01:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Might also be an issue with the Gateway Module if you already have the N400 fix.

This Tuesday I started the Disco and all warning lights flashed. Luckily no flashing engine light, the light remained solid. However, I could not move into reverse or drive, I let the engine run as I read the warnings on the dash. "No ABS, ok to drive carefully", "No collision warning, ok to drive carefully", "No this and that safety feature, ok to drive carefully"...after clearing all the warnings I was able to move into to drive and reverse. I left it in P and looked into the Remote app. The warning said there is a check engine light on and the car may be in "limp home" mode. So I felt better, this meant I could drive home...carefully. Before driving, I shut down the Disco and locked it and tried again. The shifter wasn't locked up, but I still had to clear the warnings. I drove home with no issues, shut it down, locked it and waited. An hour later or so I restarted and the only item left was the engine waring, no more warnings to clear.

I called LR and I was able to get squeezed in the same day (I live a few minutes away from a LR dealership). The codes they found were U0447-00 and U2300-56. The first one seems to be an error that goes back some time. I found years-old references by searching and the described fix was the same as in my case, the tech updated the software. The second one is included in the Gateway Module troubleshooting doc I pulled from Topix last year, a configuration file error. No further issues since then.

I wasn't aware of Limp Home mode until this week.

The following users liked this post:
GOODCAT8 (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I think I had a Gateway problem about 6 months ago. I got the same ABS and associated warnings while I was driving and when I got home and later went back the car I got a check engine light. They did some software which they claimed would fix it and it certainly hasn’t come back yet...