New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Option pack question MY21 , Towing vs Adv. Off-Road??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 03:40 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Question Option pack question MY21 , Towing vs Adv. Off-Road??

I'm spec-ing a MY21, wanted towing as an option and notice there is a difference between the following

Towing Pack ($1150)
which says includes:

-All Terrain Progress Control (ATPC)
-Terrain Response 2
-Advanced Tow Assist
-Tow hitch receiver

And the
Advanced Off-road Capability Pack ($700):

-All Terrain Progress Control (ATPC)
-Terrain Response 2
-Configurable Terrain Response

for this option, we'd have to add the tow-hitch receiver for $650, which brings the total to $1350

So that makes the latter pack w/receiver added $200 more. Notice that what is missing from the "Towing Pack" is "Configurable Terrain Response."

Does this mean that "Advanced Tow Assist" and "Configurable Terrain Response" are mutually exclusive?? Or is there something else I'm not understanding?

Old 12-18-2020, 07:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I can't answer your question but in some serious off road adventures with my LR3, I never even needed to select any special terrain mode to have the traction I needed.
I certainly did use Low Range and Raised Suspension settings, but not Mud and Ruts or Snow, etc.

In fact, the one time I got stuck in some really slippery snow (I got out and couldn't stand up on it), off road, and off camber, I had it in Snow mode and couldn't get out.
Finally, I took it out of Snow Mode, and turned off Traction Control, and drove out successfully.

So unless you are planning some intense off road travels I doubt you'll ever need Configurable Terrain Rsponse.

Also, don't spec larger than 20 inch wheels if that's an option, because it's really hard to find any suitible off-road tires larger than 20 inch.

That's just my opinion.

Last edited by ponderosajack; 12-18-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:19 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sure looks that way. Do you need configurable terrain response? Isn't it just a shortcut?

Old 12-19-2020, 12:38 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dinkeldorf
Sure looks that way. Do you need configurable terrain response? Isn't it just a shortcut?
I'd allows you to set several parameters and then save up to 4 combinations of them as presets. yeah, probably wouldn't need it; I'm no hard core off-roader and the built-in presets are fine.

When I went to the UK site to do a build, sure enough when I tried to switch from the Adv Terrain pack to Towing, it did say it would have to remove the Configurable Terrain Response at £220 (the US build tool doesn't itemize). Huh. I now wonder if the Adv Tow Assist on the '21 D5 might be a simulated component on Pivi Pro they had to make room for. Odd though that the Defender build seems to able to have both when doing builds.

Strange. I'll have to push my dealer to find out what's going on.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:34 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It seems a strange this or that option, there must be some obscure system constraint. Good luck in your diligence.

Old 12-19-2020, 05:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Or it comes as part of the advanced tow pack and they just didn’t list it on the website...
No mention of the rear locker on either pack?

Old 12-19-2020, 06:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
Or it comes as part of the advanced tow pack and they just didn’t list it on the website...
No mention of the rear locker on either pack?
rear diff is a separate option.

As I said, on an UK LR build, the Configurable TR is specifically removed when doing an option pack switch. so I assume it's the same for NA.

I have an email into JLR. We'll see.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:54 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

…or it could be an error in the online configurator. We found one of those while spec'ing ours! Good thing to check with JLR corporate.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:52 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by sobiloff
…or it could be an error in the online configurator. We found one of those while spec'ing ours! Good thing to check with JLR corporate.
certainly could be. but the $200 difference in price suggests some feature was dropped between the two packs.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:23 PM
Mudding

FYI. Received a response for JLR this morning. They didn't get the question based on the reply as they said I could build with the Packs I mentioned.

Tried to make it more clear for them that one apparently cannot spec both Advanced Tow Assist and Configurable TR in the same vehicle. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Option pack question MY21 , Towing vs Adv. Off-Road??