Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Robert vs Disco

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 06:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Range Robert vs Disco

I’ve never owned or driven the RR. What about that vehicle separates it from the Disco and increasing its cost so much? I know there’s the 500+hp version but what of say the HSE?

Old 07-26-2020, 07:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Well, the Discovery, RR Sport and RR are built on the same premium platform.
Obviously the RR is larger whereas the RR Sport not so much.
I noticed a few interior pieces in the RR Sport were higher quality materials, things like the dash end caps if I remember correctly, plus the pedal covers (which I fitted to my Disco as they were $80 on ebay) maybe the lower part of the door card. I assume they have more sound deadening.
The full sized RR in addition to being larger is more of the same. But it gets to the point where they’re struggling to find interior bits to upgrade. I noticed the speaker grilles on the RR were metal (or at least metal colored) for example.
I think they have the Velar style center console additional screen for the climate whereas the Disco has the previous gen RR look.
The RR Sport seems to have a firmer, sportier ride than the Discovery.

I think the Discovery is a lot of luxury materials and quiet and smooth etc for a great price by comparison.

I’m sure there are experts who can give more details but that’s what I noticed.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 07-26-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
Well, the Discovery, RR Sport and RR are built on the same premium platform.
Obviously the RR is larger whereas the RR Sport not so much.
I noticed a few interior pieces in the RR Sport were higher quality materials, things like the dash end caps if I remember correctly, plus the pedal covers (which I fitted to my Disco as they were $80 on ebay) maybe the lower part of the door card. I assume they have more sound deadening.
The full sized RR in addition to being larger is more of the same. But it gets to the point where they’re struggling to find interior bits to upgrade. I noticed the speaker grilles on the RR were metal (or at least metal colored) for example.
I think they have the Velar style center console additional screen for the climate whereas the Disco has the previous gen RR look.
The RR Sport seems to have a firmer, sportier ride than the Discovery.

I think the Discovery is a lot of luxury materials and quiet and smooth etc for a great price by comparison.

I’m sure there are experts who can give more details but that’s what I noticed.
i always thought the disco was the biggest.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Bigger than the RR Sport I think, but not as big as the full size RR.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

My neighbor has a RR Sport as well as a new full sized RR.

The sport is pretty much the same size as the Disco, but the D5 uses the space better. Our back seats fold flat, RR Sport does not. Ours is "squared" off in the back so cargo room is more accessible, etc. etc. In other words, the Disco is a bit more utilitarian. As mentioned above, the RR Sport also has some nicer finish out and engine choices. The biggest overall differences are poshness, style and practicality.

The RR on the other hand feels like a Rolls Royce inside. Definitely nicer appointments, vault like solidity, etc. But it's not light years beyond the Disco.

I can't see enough difference to spend the money, honestly. It also encourages me to get mine a bit more dirty sometimes as well.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Rock Crawling

I got curious so I looked it up:

The Discovery is roughly 4 inches longer than a RR Sport.
The big std wheelbase RR is 2 inches longer than a Discovery, and the long wheelbase version is much longer of course.

I feel there is very little difference between a RR Sport and a Discovery, even in interior quality. Just a few minor things upgraded in hard to see places. And a sportier drive but smaller.

The big RR upgrades even more finished but again mostly in areas that don’t need it, but the main benefit as I recall was space. It’s a 5 seater and there’s more space inside than the Disco. In addition it was even quieter and rode even better.

The Disco 5 has had such a luxury overhaul that it is honestly like a previous generation RR. It’s amazing how upmarket the interior has gone. I decided against the RR Sport because I preferred the Disco ride and practicality, not to mention it’s improved off road ability. I honestly couldn’t see the point *for me* of more money on the smaller RR Sport when the interior upgrades were so small.

If I was in a position to upgrade I’d go for the big daddy RR as that did feel even more premium (with the right options and priced to match) so it felt worth it, but only if I had money to burn and wanted the best available at any price because frankly it would be about $50k or 2/3rds more than a HSE Lux Disco for extra space I really don’t need. (The Disco is huge to me).

When I asked the sales guy about the Velar and RR Sport vs the Disco he told me the RR badge And sportier drive sells them over the Disco...

Old 07-27-2020, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I had been hankering to drive the 500+ HP full size Rover. Quite nice...not for the extra $ though. Rode more "truckish" though and I had that in my Yukon Denalli. Hit a bump and it seems to resonate through out. Disco overall rides better. (With the air ride of course.)

Old 07-28-2020, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I didn’t research this to be sure but if you want off-road tires you need 20 inch or smaller wheels as there are few choices for larger wheel size.
I am not sure if you can get a RR Sport with 20inch wheels.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I picked up my Disco,I tried the RR HSE and one thing that immediately jumped out was the leather on the seats - oh my gosh, those seats were so lovely, defintely the nicest I have ever sat in!!!

Old 07-31-2020, 10:18 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

My prior two vehicles were the Range Rover Sports. They are amazing vehicles; very luxurious and sporty. The interior of the Discovery HSE Luxury is definitely on par with the RRS in my opinion....and the turn **** shift is so cool. The vintage tan windsor leather interior in the Disco is gorgeous in my opinion. I definitely found the seats were more comfortable in the RRS (I find the seats in the Disco are way too firm....our second vehicle is the Defender and those seats are much more comfortable than the Disco). Visually the RRS is more sexy in appearance, but I absolutely love the back of the Disco--nothing else looks like it on the road from the back. But beauty is the eye of the beholder.The RRS is more "sporty" and really hugs the road / handles better than the Disco. The Disco on the other hand has a less harsh ride though and absorbs the bumps better in my opinion. It also has a true third row compared to the RRS. The biggest "adjustment" for me going from the RRS to the Disco is the engine. I really, really loved the 510 hp engine in the RRS. It was spectacular. But the Disco does what you ask of it.....just not as fast. The Disco is packed with much more technology than my old RRS and it is more versatile. The seats lay truly flat in the Disco; not so in the RRS. What I like about the Disco is that you see very few on the roads up here in NYC area. I probably see 10 RRS a day up here but can go several days without seeing a Disco. Other than the seats being too firm, I am very pleased thus far with the Disco.
----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (08-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Range Robert vs Disco