Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear door card removal / install instructions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 12:22 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear door card removal / install instructions

Hi - I have a dealer that has damaged a front door card on my D5 (they’ve ordered a replacement) and I think that they’ve also damaged the rear left door card. Does anyone have instructions on how to remove/reinstall it? I’m trying to figure out if there’s some trick to it or if a clip is just broken and can’t reattach. I’ve attached a couple pics. It’s hanging pretty loose. Very little pressure to pull it out like that for the pics. The only videos I’ve found are for RRs. No D5s.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:35 AM
Mudding
Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm not surprised the dealer broke them.I broke rear in the same place trying to remove it as well.I did my driver door card when the door latch broke earlier this year. The removal of the front appears the same as the rear. From memory there were 4 screws. Other than that it's just plastic panel clips that hold it on otherwise. The construction of the panel in that area is very weak. The cupholder piece is basically plastic welded on in a couple small spots. No way was paying $2k for a plastic door card. So I rewelded the spots with a soldering iron. And used 3M VHB to tape the panel on in other places on the backside to reinforce it. My advice is just take your time with a plastic panel removal tool and work your way around the door. Don't pull on the lower door card until all the clips are free or it will break. You'll need to remove 3 access covers to get at the 4 screws I'm referring to. They pop off easy.

Last edited by RyanLR3; 09-25-2021 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
New2LRinCA (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RyanLR3
I'm not surprised the dealer broke them.I broke rear in the same place trying to remove it as well.I did my driver door card when the door latch broke earlier this year. The removal of the front appears the same as the rear. From memory there were 4 screws. Other than that it's just plastic panel clips that hold it on otherwise. The construction of the panel in that area is very weak. The cupholder piece is basically plastic welded on in a couple small spots. No way was paying $2k for a plastic door card. So I rewelded the spots with a soldering iron. And used 3M VHB to tape the panel on in other places on the backside to reinforce it. My advice is just take your time with a plastic panel removal tool and work your way around the door. Don't pull on the lower door card until all the clips are free or it will break. You'll need to remove 3 access covers to get at the 4 screws I'm referring to. They pop off easy.

Thanks for the great detail! The dealer is going to take it in and look at it. I think a plastic attachment at the bottom right is broken and would have to be sealed as you suggest (if I end up having to fix it). If they determined it happened in their care, they’ll likely order a new door card. That’s what happened with the front one they damaged last time - but it’s months to ??? to get a new one manufactured and here.

I think they must have some inexperienced techs. The original repair was for rattling and misaligned window in the driver door. Someone clearly used a metal tool to try to pry the card of and warped the bottom. They also bent the sheet metal to the point where the dealer said it happened and they put it to their body shop to fix without even showing me (they did inform me). It must have been a real hack job.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:05 PM
Mudding

Forgot the screw underneath...

The following users liked this post:
New2LRinCA (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 02:14 PM
Drifting

Forgot the screw underneath...
I did see that one and it looks like it has been backed out most of the way, as if someone loosened it. Definitely not all the way in. The whole thing is odd because they shouldn’t even have been taking that door apart. A door seal was replaced but I can’t imagine that required the card to be removes.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:17 AM
Mudding

Yeah, that's why I do any work I can myself. Even the dealerships manage to do things wrong.

Old 10-02-2021, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Adding a closing comment for anyone who needs this info down the road: In the pics I posted there is a small plastic piece sticking out of the panel (at the front of the storage bin) which is the remnant of the clip that broke. This isn’t a normal clip - it’s a molded part of the panel that mushrooms into the main door card and there’s no replacing it. When it breaks, the fix is to replace the whole door card (if someone else is paying) or use your favorite DIY adhesive approach.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:15 PM
Mudding

Now my RH front door latch assembly has failed. The door doesn't lock. Two different latches replaced in less than 80k miles. Guess they don't build them like they used to.

I'll be taking another door card off next week.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:01 AM
Drifting

Now my RH front door latch assembly has failed. The door doesn't lock. Two different latches replaced in less than 80k miles. Guess they don't build them like they used to.

I'll be taking another door card off next week.
I’ve been surprised that some of the parts seem to be problems and not well put together. I expected the LR to be solidly built and lux, but was ready for the historical electrical and mechanical problems. It’s been the opposite for the most part. Not much major in the drivetrain or electrical issues, but build quality is less than expected.

Last edited by New2LRinCA; 03-21-2022 at 06:25 PM.