Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduction of MSRP if Ordering

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduction of MSRP if Ordering

Spoiled by an Audi diesel that someone wrecked. Looking to purchase my first LR diesel and leaning toward the HSE Lux. Salesman yesterday suggested that if I order one, "the price is the price." Is this true? If not, how much could one expect off MSRP for an ordered vehicle? Any idea on how long for delivery?

THANKS!

Old 07-15-2019, 11:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might help if you told us where you live: pricing varies market to market.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:32 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhartz
Might help if you told us where you live: pricing varies market to market.
Sure! I'm in Houston, Texas.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

We got a small discount when ordering ours. Typically with custom orders there is less leverage on the dealer. If you have a few dealers within reasonable distance you may have more luck getting some discounts.

Not sure what the time frames are now, but we ordered a 2019 HSE Lux Si6 (not sure if gas or diesel affect s delivery times, but there seems to be a longer timeframe for diesels in the US). We ordered in late August and got ours late October last year.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Got 2% off MSRP with our special order. Took nearly 9 months to get it though . . .

Wichita, Ks.

Others have gotten their's quicker. Others have at least said they got better deals both from special order and inventory.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrillsch
Spoiled by an Audi diesel that someone wrecked. Looking to purchase my first LR diesel and leaning toward the HSE Lux. Salesman yesterday suggested that if I order one, "the price is the price." Is this true? If not, how much could one expect off MSRP for an ordered vehicle? Any idea on how long for delivery?

THANKS!
Here's the post I made to the leasehackr forum. Short answer: NO, you can do much better than MSRP. Here's what I shared with a leasing newbie on LH:

I’m in the NYC area and reached out -by email- to every dealer in New England up through and including Maine, and then down as far south as Maryland. I sent them a RRS TD6 build and a LR Discovery TD6 build. Both were $80k MSRPs, so the Disco was loaded, the RRS less so. I told them I wanted the exact build and so needed to custom order one or the other. I told them I wasn’t interested in a phone call, a dealer visit, test drive, or anything other than an email containing:

-their best price vs MSRP
-then current residual and MF for the lease terms I was interested in (33 or 36 mo, 10K mi/year); note that these changed slightly by the time my car landed

Some dealers didn’t respond at all.
Some responded with autoresponders.
Some responded asking me to call, or come in to talk, or for a test drive.
Some told me they couldn’t “deal” at the distance between us because supposedly JLR spiffs dealers in some way that encourages local transactions or discourages distant transactions. I have no idea if that’s true but more than one responded as such.

OF THE SMALL HANDFUL that responded, two were willing to give me 5% under MSRP, which is basically invoice. Not a dollar more was offered in an effort to secure the deal. So let’s start there. Unless you’re talking about iron sitting on the lot that a dealer is really trying/needing to move before a certain date (usually their fiscal year end which may or may not be Dec 31), I do believe this is the best you’re going to do.

The geographically closer of the two dealers offering the 5% discount tried to mark up the MF, but I pushed back and they gave me the then-current LRFS MF. The residual is the residual. Nonnegotiable.

Add up all the above, and the bottom line is that Land Rovers do not lease “well” in the LeaseHackr framework. Our $80k Discovery is $820/mo, or about 1.03% of MSRP, with taxes and fees paid up front (my preference, as I find the idea of rolling them into the lease and paying interest on taxes odious). The $80k RRS build was something like $1000/mo, apples to apples, or about 1.25% of the MSRP.

I would call our Disco lease good in the LeaseHackr sense, and very good in the LR world. The equivalent RRS lease offer was decent in the LR world, and bad in the LeaseHackr world.

As some have said, if your heart is set on a particular vehicle, you’re at the mercy of what the collective market will tolerate. I could’ve leased another X5 for well under 1% of MSRP. But we really love the Discovery, and that was that.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Park Place Land Rover in Dallas is an authorized Costco dealer. They were very easy to deal with by phone and internet.
You will need to call Costco auto sales and ask them for a referral and they'll give you the contact person. I would not suggest attempting to call Park Place without first contacting Costco. There may even be an authorized LR dealer in Houston. It will be well worth the cost of Costco membership to use their auto buying service.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019D5
Here's the post I made to the leasehackr forum. Short answer: NO, you can do much better than MSRP. Here's what I shared with a leasing newbie on LH:

I’m in the NYC area and reached out -by email- to every dealer in New England up through and including Maine, and then down as far south as Maryland. I sent them a RRS TD6 build and a LR Discovery TD6 build. Both were $80k MSRPs, so the Disco was loaded, the RRS less so. I told them I wanted the exact build and so needed to custom order one or the other. I told them I wasn’t interested in a phone call, a dealer visit, test drive, or anything other than an email containing:

-their best price vs MSRP
-then current residual and MF for the lease terms I was interested in (33 or 36 mo, 10K mi/year); note that these changed slightly by the time my car landed

Some dealers didn’t respond at all.
Some responded with autoresponders.
Some responded asking me to call, or come in to talk, or for a test drive.
Some told me they couldn’t “deal” at the distance between us because supposedly JLR spiffs dealers in some way that encourages local transactions or discourages distant transactions. I have no idea if that’s true but more than one responded as such.

OF THE SMALL HANDFUL that responded, two were willing to give me 5% under MSRP, which is basically invoice. Not a dollar more was offered in an effort to secure the deal. So let’s start there. Unless you’re talking about iron sitting on the lot that a dealer is really trying/needing to move before a certain date (usually their fiscal year end which may or may not be Dec 31), I do believe this is the best you’re going to do.

The geographically closer of the two dealers offering the 5% discount tried to mark up the MF, but I pushed back and they gave me the then-current LRFS MF. The residual is the residual. Nonnegotiable.

Add up all the above, and the bottom line is that Land Rovers do not lease “well” in the LeaseHackr framework. Our $80k Discovery is $820/mo, or about 1.03% of MSRP, with taxes and fees paid up front (my preference, as I find the idea of rolling them into the lease and paying interest on taxes odious). The $80k RRS build was something like $1000/mo, apples to apples, or about 1.25% of the MSRP.

I would call our Disco lease good in the LeaseHackr sense, and very good in the LR world. The equivalent RRS lease offer was decent in the LR world, and bad in the LeaseHackr world.

As some have said, if your heart is set on a particular vehicle, you’re at the mercy of what the collective market will tolerate. I could’ve leased another X5 for well under 1% of MSRP. But we really love the Discovery, and that was that.
Bolding mine. Jag/LandRover is one of the few manufacturers that does this. I actually like it even though I don't work for them. It's not a spiff that they loose, its loss of future inventory. Wish more brands would do a better job of protecting the dealers. New cars aren't the money makers people may think.

The following users liked this post:
2019D5 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I have to disagree. I had a firm offer and a new D5 waiting for me at a discounted price from Park Place LR. I could have bought any vehicle on the lot at a discounted price or I could have ordered a new one at a discounted price. The only reason I didn't complete the deal is because they were holding it for me for a few days until I could check out a local dealer's used D5. If I hadn't bought the one locally I had travel plans to fly to Dallas from Colorado and pick up the new one. You have to be a Costco member to get to the right person to get the Costco pricing. I have used Costco pricing to buy new BMW's and to buy my new LR3 years ago. If you don't want to bother trying Costco's auto buying service then go ahead and pay MSRP. If you are a Costco member and you go online, you have to enter your zip code to find a dealer. There were no LR dealers that came up so I called them and asked for dealers in other states. I found dealers in Texas and Calif. and a few others.

Last edited by ponderosajack; 07-18-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-18-2019, 02:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

With regard to Audi, back in 2005 there was an incredible lease offer for something like $200/month. Phil Long in Colorado Springs wouldn't agree to it, so I leased the very same Dolphin Grey A4 from the Boulder dealership. They did a dealer trade with Phil Long, and I had to laugh when I saw the window sticker, as it was the exact same A4 I tried to lease from Phil Long. In my case I have no problem screwing Phil Long as often as possible. They are a horrible dealership with long standing practices that are substandard. Sad, because I used to purchase 10-15 new vehicles per/year from them for our company. Thank God they don't own the Land Rover dealership, or I would jump ship. I used to make a phone call and say I needed 3 F250's, some F150's and maybe some vans this year. At the time I was treated like royalty, I paid a fair price, but they treated me well, now I'm still recognized by ownership, but Cimono walks away when he sees me. Thankfully Land Rover/Jag in Colorado Springs follows in the Red Noland tradition and treats everyone well, and Thom not only makes sure to say hello when I visit, but goes above and beyond when needed. We are friends, I have his cell, he has mine, and that is loyalty for me.

Quick Reply: Reduction of MSRP if Ordering