Sponsored by:

Replacement Cross Bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 11:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replacement Cross Bars

Hi all-

First off, I love this forum and all of the knowledgeable and passionate folks who post regularly. Thanks for all the great information so far.

Question for the group. I have the OEM LR Roof Rack on my 2019 Disco. I am told the rack is made by Thule. I have three cross bars that sustained some damage when a parking valet tried to park me in the garage. Seems he got in OK; but rubbed the spare tire on his way out, thus pretzeling three cross bars in the process. My dealer tells me I have to buy a whole new rack. Thule could not immediately access any information and quickly faded my request. I am now scouring LinkedIn to find a purchasing person who can help lead me to the Aluminum extruder who makes the components (likely Chinese). Hoping I can get some bare stock which I can cut to size and replace the damaged pieces.

You may be asking yourself if you have read this far why I would go to such lengths and not have the parking company's insurance give me a new rack. Actually that has already been done. In the interim, I just picked up a Tasman Blue Defender 110 and am hoping to fix and fit this roof rack to it. this may pose additional challenges as I try to determine whether the mounting hardware is the same; but one project at a time...

Trying to update my profile as the vehicles listed do not reflect the current status. Little intro-I live in St. Louis, MO and currently own a 2019 Discovery V TReK edition and a 2020 Tasman Blue Defender 110 P400 HSE in Tasman Blue/Acorn. My LR history goes back some ways having owned a '97 Defender 90SW in Arles Blue, 2006 LR3 HSE, 2010 LR4 HSE, 2013 RRS Supercharged and now the Disco and Defender. I would classify myself as being torn between two lovers as the old song goes when it comes to which vehicle do I like better. To me the drive is totally different and largely due to the larger tires, lift kit, roof rack, spare tire, safari lights, winch, skid plates, push bar and other weighty items on the Disco vs the streamlined simplicity of the Defender.

I know the looks of the Disco are not everyone's cup of tea; but I think my TReK model looks awesome. If I had to choose one vehicle as a GADA (go anywhere do anything) vehicle, of the two it would be the Disco. Having said that. I am so enamored with the Defender from the design aesthetic to the sheer power and driving dynamics to the simple brilliance of the interior and user interface. I find myself sitting in the car in the garage playing with stuff (learning my vehicle) like a kid with a new toy. The Defender replaced my 2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. I will not compare the two vehicles as they are in totally different leagues in so many ways. Jeeps are still amazing vehicles and I do wish JLR would do a bare bones, soft top Defender that is purpose built to best any other out of the box offroader; but am quite pleased with the execution of the current model. As they say-Pics or it didn't happen. First two pics are of the Defender after wrapping the roof white and Ceramic Pro coating. Last two are of the Disco with and without the TReK decals.

Sorry for the long winded post-back to the original topic. Any assistance anyone can provide would be appreciated!

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (01-22-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 01:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know some of the bigger aluminum companies here in South Florida do custom extrusions, but would assume the setup fees would be far greater than the cost of the rack. I would be thinking the same way though: do any of the Chinese roof racks use the same profile, and could I find out what might (without buying/returning random sets).

I'm sure you've already thought of trying to have a local fabricator try and straighten them. Any pics of the damage?

Old 01-29-2021, 06:16 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Null1. Thanks for your response. Sadly, I did not consider a local fab shop to straighten these. Good suggestion. I have an employee based in China trying to find extruders who do work with Thule as well.