Searching for a pre-owned Disco

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 12:38 PM
JMV
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Searching for a pre-owned Disco

Hi There,

I’m new here. I’m on the hunt for a used Disco and wanted to ask for some help. My list for the “ideal” car, as near as I’ve been able to figure, is below:2018 HSE Luxury

Color: Corris Gray, Carpathian Gray, Eiger Gray, Silica Silver, Byron Blue

-Black Grill

-Black Wheels

-Black Roof

-Gasoline engine

-cooled seats

-massage seats

-heads up display

-console fridge

-tan interior

-30k or under miles

-$50k

I have been having a heck of a time finding anything that ticks even most of those boxes. In the interest of trying to be better at searching, I wanted to ask some questions on identifying details or trims on cars for sale!

First, is there any easy way to tell visually whether the car is an HSE or HSE lux? It seems to me the lux models have pinstripe or accents on the seats, and regular HSE models don’t.

Second, is there any easy way to tell if the car has the locking rear diff? Was that grouped with a certain package, or was it only a standalone option?

Finally - does anyone have suggestions on how to search for used vehicles in this crazy car market? I’ve been keeping close tabs on autotrader, CarMax, and local JLR dealer websites. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 10-30-2021, 10:16 PM
JMV
4wd Low

Anyone?

Old 10-31-2021, 07:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Saw this the other day. It's higher mileage than you are looking for.

https://www.smartfordsouthboston.com...RT2RV9JA056399

Old 10-31-2021, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

It doesnt have a tan interior as he listed but I don't think I've seen one with a tan interior and massage seats tough combo I guess but mine is tan and I got heated seats only but its fine.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

You searching nation wide?

I found my D5 on auto trader. I did compromise on a few things (my car didn't have headrest screens nor roof rails, also northern car so had to get ahead on underside corrosion) but worth it.

Nation wide search and patience. Took my 2 months to find my car, then another month to buy it remotely and get it shipped to me. Worth it. I had my eye on a car in California, but I don't have time for a cross country road trip. If I did, I would've flown out for that car. Definitely search LR dealers as they are usually cool with selling a used car over long distances.

California and NE seem to have the best spec cars overall. As a wildcard, look at LR Boise in Idaho. They pick up random nice spec west coast cars often.

Shipping from the west coast east, and north to south is pricey. So keep that in mind. I paid $800 to ship 600 miles from PA south. Sucked but I would've probably spent that in flight, hotel, fuel, etc driving the car back. Shipping from California to east coast is easily $3k or more. Suddenly a "out west" trip makes sense. My friend bought his LR4 (like, 5 years ago) from Boise. They flew out there and made a cross country trip out of it (used points for flights + hotels so that helped). That was cool.

HSE Lux has better seat construction and better sound system. Otherwise everything else is packaged. Yes you want the massage seats, my God its awesome. Also make sure you get the electric heated front windshield. Once again, didn't know I needed this until I did. Be prepared to compromise on black wheels and grill. Both of these can be changed out relatively easily.

Oh and add another $10k to your budget and bump up mileage by another 10k. 30,000 mile CPO cars are getting fewer now and the overall CPO pricing has definitely jumped $10k in the past 6 months. Keep in mind, its a car sellers market, not a buyers market.

Or not. But you are asking a lot from a minimal budget/mileage.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:57 PM
JMV
4wd Low

Thanks!! I appreciate the extra insights.

I am definitely prepared to up the budget some if I find the right car. Less ready to bump up my mileage - I drive a lot so starting lower with the miles is important to me.

There is a CPO 2017 4 hours south of me that checks most of the boxes - but it’s got 44k miles. They’ve had it for about a month though. I’m wondering if maybe I can get it for a good price it would be worth it?

Old 11-02-2021, 07:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Could be good. Go take it for a drive and test out everything that matters to you.

Get them to pull up the carfax and vehicle history. If there are no red flags and you like how it drives then its a good candidate.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

How many miles a year do you drive? We put 15k a year on ours. So a 44k miles vs 30k miles is a year of driving. And prob a year of depreciation cheaper to buy

I'd worry less about miles and more about condition. If you can negotiate a good price on a bit more miles, could be a good deal. And it's a sellers market at the moment so you will have to flex on something.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:13 PM
JMV
4wd Low

My mileage tracker has me over 32k miles so far this year.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

So I can't see that 10k miles makes much difference.

Quick Reply: Searching for a pre-owned Disco