Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second row seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 09:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Second row seats

I am looking into a 2021 Disco. I have read the release notes and a few reviews, and they all alude to a "comfort" improvement in the second row seats. Has anyone had any first hand experience to compare the older models with the 2021 version? Specifically I am concerned of the low height and thus lack of leg support...

Old 02-16-2021, 10:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

That’s my biggest complaint with my D5. Luckily my kids are young so not horrible unless we have adult friends in the back.

It would be great if the 2021 update includes the second row height of the new Defender.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:31 PM
Overlanding

I agree, and there seems to be more than enough headroom availabe to increase it...

Old 02-17-2021, 03:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I’m wondering if they put the 2nd row low down to increase the cargo space...
By having them so low the back folds forward on top of the base cushion and you get a nearly flat floor but not quite (some slope).
if they made the 2nd row higher then you wouldn’t get a flat floor unless you folder the bases downwards abs then the seat back down into the space where the base used to be. But then you lose a little length of cargo. More likely this arrangement would be too difficult to pull off with electric seat fold though...

I do find myself wondering if someone will make billet height extensions to raise the seat up, but in the meantime as someone who is 6 foot I do find it more comfortable to stretch myself out by putting my feet under the front seat instead of directly down. That said I never sit in the back, only my wife’s parents do and at around 5’2” each they actually like the back seat vs other SUVs as they find getting in and out easier (which was another factor in our decision to with the Disco not that we needed any more), so for us maybe it’s fine as it is although we haven’t been on any long trips with them...

Old 03-03-2021, 08:34 AM
Overlanding

Thank you, LoneStarLR. That does make sense, but it seems like a big sacrifice for a big three-row "family" SUV... In this case, perhaps comfort should have trumped cargo space efficiency?

Old 03-03-2021, 03:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I agree. I feel like I’m sitting on the floor in the 2nd row and for a pretty luxurious SUV that doesn’t make a great deal of sense. But I don’t make the design decisions.
Luckily for me personally our situation means it’s not a problem for us at all, in fact we probably benefit due to the cargo area shape. But I don’t think I am the main target market for such a vehicle so they should have prioritized the seat height for comfort not cargo space or power folding even if it means I would have lost out.

The following 2 users liked this post by LoneStarLR:
angelboing (03-03-2021), Ryu2021 (03-07-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 10:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is one of the reasons I think I will be moving on from my 17' D5 to the defender here soon. I cant stand how low they are. My kids do not know any better, but when I do spend time back there or grandma is there its noticeable. I have used my 3rd row a total of 4 times since 2017. Not related to this thread I know, but in case you were wondering.

The following 2 users liked this post by Loriebluedico5:
angelboing (03-08-2021), Ryu2021 (03-07-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 10:38 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 21MY is scheduled to arrive in mid May, so if you haven’t received an answer I’ll chime in and let you know what I think. I test drove a 20MY along with a Defender and definitely preferred the seats in the Defender. The seats in the new Discovery are supposed to be more in line with the seats in the Defender. Same as the steering wheel and infotainment. So little information available right now.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:39 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Pava-Rottie
My 21MY is scheduled to arrive in mid May, so if you haven’t received an answer I’ll chime in and let you know what I think. I test drove a 20MY along with a Defender and definitely preferred the seats in the Defender. The seats in the new Discovery are supposed to be more in line with the seats in the Defender. Same as the steering wheel and infotainment. So little information available right now.
Yes, please do. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I am about to do so for a Defender instead of a Discovery. But I don't think I am the only curious one, since this is an issue that's has come up elsewhere...

The following users liked this post:
Pava-Rottie (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 11:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

If you’ve seen the Munro tear down of the Tesla Model Y you see that uses Model 3 seats on an extra block of metal for extra height. I keep wondering whether that’s an option for us with <MY21 D5s. Knowing Tesla’s penchant for bodges in their cars I am not sure whether it should even be an option.

Quick Reply: Second row seats