Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service intervals

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 10:40 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Service intervals

Am I reading this correctly? First service/ oil change is at two years or 21,000 miles? Wasn't long ago they were insisting the oil be changed every 6,000 miles. Some even told us 3,000 miles. And for new vehicles, 200 miles with break-in oil. Well, it is the 21st Century. BTW, that 6 year service looks expensive. No new TV that year!

Old 01-24-2021, 09:35 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

For the newer Ingenium engines, it recommends getting the vehicle serviced every 21,000 miles or every 2 years -- whichever comes first. When researching the Ingenium engine-equipped vehicles (such as the Defender), it says servicing (including oil change) has been extended 30% from 16,000 miles to 21,000 miles due to several innovations of the engine that combine lower oil consumption and clean up of the combustion process--ensuring the oil remains cleaner for longer. I've never gone 21,000 miles btwn oil changes; however, this is a more advanced/efficient engine....allegedly. I am too nervous to go that long w/o an oil change, so on my Defender I did get my oil changed at the half way point.

By the way, where in the iGuide did you see the service interval schedule? I cannot find it my iGuide for the Defender or Discovery.

----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Old 01-24-2021, 10:22 AM
Drifting

They certainly don’t make it easy, do they 🥴. I found this information under “Passport To Service”, then under “Maintenance And Service”. Like the vehicles, the guide is...well, it takes a while to figure out. I still haven’t located any information on type and grade of oil. I imagine they want fully synthetic oil. I remember Mobile 1 bragging about how you can go 25,000 miles without an oil change. “That’s a trip around the world!” Still, it’s information I’d like to know. Took 20 minutes just to find the part about jacking up the car!

Technology is great!

The following users liked this post:
Tucker Woods (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 08:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts

Fully synthetic for sure! But it's much more than that. The JLR spec is a Castrol edge professional oil (0W30 where I am but that may vary by region/temperature). It has special titanium additives to minimize engine wear
It's hard to get - I've only found it via the dealer

Others claim that there are alternatives from other manufacturers that meet the spec - but that's hard to confirm
Lots of debate on this in the Jaguar forums as they use the same engines

Personally I'd still bias to changing the oil sooner. If you're even half handy buy a vacuum pump and you just suck it out the filler hole and pour the new oil in. You can be done in a half hour without having to do any real 'mechanics'...

Old 01-24-2021, 08:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BritCars
Fully synthetic for sure! But it's much more than that. The JLR spec is a Castrol edge professional oil (0W30 where I am but that may vary by region/temperature). It has special titanium additives to minimize engine wear
It's hard to get - I've only found it via the dealer

Others claim that there are alternatives from other manufacturers that meet the spec - but that's hard to confirm
Lots of debate on this in the Jaguar forums as they use the same engines

Personally I'd still bias to changing the oil sooner. If you're even half handy buy a vacuum pump and you just suck it out the filler hole and pour the new oil in. You can be done in a half hour without having to do any real 'mechanics'...

this is probably why an oil change is so expensive. Isn’t the oil filter on top of the engine? Wonder if using a different motor oil would give them cause to void your warranty 🤔

Old 01-24-2021, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I would keep in mind the oil related issues that plagued the LR4 were generally linked to the extended oil change intervals.

gmfain (02-22-2022)
Old 01-24-2021, 09:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I would keep in mind the oil related issues that plagued the LR4 were generally linked to the extended oil change intervals.

Good point! Then again, it is in the manual. So if it blows up...will we get the TFL treatment?

Old 01-24-2021, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

If it goes in warranty you get a loaner, if it goes outside of warranty you get a bill. Oil changes are cheap preventative maintenance

Last edited by ArmyRover; 01-24-2021 at 09:21 PM.
gmfain (01-25-2021)
Old 02-21-2022, 01:10 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you post same for for 3L Disel ?
or it was Disel

angelboing (02-24-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 09:44 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I change my oil every 5000 miles and have a Blackstone Oil analysis performed for any issues. Relatively "cheap" preventative maintenance for health of the engine.

Quick Reply: Service intervals