Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thump sound from backend

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 08:30 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thump sound from backend

Bought our first Land Rover in December 2021 w/ about 41k miles on it (2018 Disco Td6 HSE). Recently we've noted a low single thump sound when pulling away from a stop. It sounds like it's heavy and that it's coming from the rear end of the vehicle. Checked the spare tire and that is tight and don't see/feel anything else in the backend that may be loose. Don't hear/feel it all the time but haven't figured out any pattern to it yet. Just wanted to ping the forum here to have some ideas on what it could be as we wait on getting it into the dealership. Cheers.

Old 10-31-2022, 01:30 PM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow. I have the same noise. At first I thought my spare tire was loose... Only thing I can attribute it to is the gas tank. Upon acceleration the weight of the fuel moving the tank. 100% speculation!

Old 10-31-2022, 02:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I get it on my first reverse in the morning.

I've heard that it happens on a number of JLR vehicles, including the Jaguar F-Type. All evidence seems to point to it being odd, but harmless.

Chalk it up to another JLR quirk.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts

Does it happen just the first time you pull away in a trip? Or every time? The abs system does a self check at around 5mph first time you pull away. You can feel a bit of a clunk through the car. Very normal. But only the first time in a journey that you pull away.

Old 10-31-2022, 11:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979rover
I get it on my first reverse in the morning.

I've heard that it happens on a number of JLR vehicles, including the Jaguar F-Type. All evidence seems to point to it being odd, but harmless.

Chalk it up to another JLR quirk.
glad it is not just me then. I was about to put the disco up on a lift at a friend's shop to have a look.
it only happens to me after the vehicle has been parked overnight.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:06 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same thing here, 2018 Td6. Dealer said they could not hear anything abnormal. So either (a) dealer's tech is deaf or (b) it's a feature not a bug.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:51 PM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Same noise on p400 defender. From pulling away and coming ti a stop. I can feel it when it happens too. Progressively got louder with mileage and makes a different noise when turning. I think its the e diff locking and unlocking. I have the e diff

Old 11-10-2022, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

Woah I have the same issue in my 2018 Disco HSE and was beginning to think I was going crazy because I can't reproduce it reliably and no one else seems to hear it.

Same as others have mentioned - I generally notice it on the first reverse in the morning backing out of my driveway or when making a gradual long turn.

Thanks for the validation, I thought I was crazy

Old 11-10-2022, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear

Appreciate all the feedback. Yeah, the wife can't hear/feel it either. Thinks I'm crazy. Well, wouldn't ya know it, but I've not heard, felt the thump in the last week or so. Will report back if I can pinpoint it any better. Cheers.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:08 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I experience something similar as well on my 2018 HSE.. I do have the heavy duty pkg with the locking rear diff option as well. One place i generally hear the thump from the rear end is when i arrive home and first start pulling uphill on my driveway. Just got back from dealer to replace some more O2 sensors again and they couldn't reproduce it. So, i'm going to say it's a feature and not a fault for now

The following users liked this post:
geekinc (06-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Thump sound from backend