New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

2016 lr4 keep or sell

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 08:06 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 lr4 keep or sell

I bought my LR4 2016 brand new and it has 48k miles on it now. The warranty is about to come up this summer and I read so much on the expenses involved in keeping a Land Rover. Since I have had the vehicle I haven't had any major issues. Brakes, rotors, tires, battery, scheduled service.. but even still those items come up to over 5k. I hate to give it up considering its the last of the boxy body style but I wonder if someone else would be better suited to keep it running? The depreciation on the vehicle is incredible... $67k at the dealer and blue books at excellent condition for 27k-32k.
Thoughts on this???

Old 02-04-2020, 01:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I don;'t often post on this forum any more but felt compelled to answer.
We have a 2012 LR4 with 100K miles on it. We bought it CPO with just under 30k on the odometer. In the 6 years we've owned it, we're gone through 2 sets of rotors and pads and onto our second set of tires. We also did the front control arms at around 80K miles.
If the question is, Is this vehicle reliable? The answer is yes, LR3 and 4's have proved to be very stout.
If the question is more around running costs, its a heavy vehicle that eats front brakes. My wife was going through a set of rotors once a year, until she adjusted her driving style. I also started doing the brakes myself to reduce cost. A nice set of tires on the LR4 can easily cost 300 bucks a tire, so your overall out of pocket maintenance costs don't seem way out of whack for "luxury brand" dealership servicing charges.

If what you're really worried about is the cost of maintenance, then a Land Rover "indie" is going to be a better option for you than the "stealership". Our Dealer tried to bill us 2300 dollars, just to do brakes! It was half that price at the local indie.

Lastly, 50% depreciation over 4-5 years seems reasonable to me. The sticker shock is crazy but if it were me, i'd drive this car for a few more years yet, then upgrade it to the new defender if you want a boxy "in warranty"/new vehicle. That would take the sting out of depreciation and allow some time to pass for the new Defender prices to come down to more normal (no surcharge) levels.