New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

93 Disco air/fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:43 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Disco air/fuel problem

Hello all...I just moved to OZ(Australia) from Oklahoma back in Feb. I bought a 93 Disco 3 door V8i 3.5L petrol from a neighbor last week...only reason for buying was I thought it was a good buy. I paid $3000AU for it. The neighbor said it needed a MAF sensor...said it would die after about an hour of driving and would start right back up and blow a lot of black smoke. When I drove it home it did smoke a lot when I gave it more petrol(gas as we American say). The temp on it would hardly move...so I put a new thermostat in it...it had a 88c and the auto parts store book said it takes a 91c...after putting that in it runs a little hotter then the manual says it should...called another auto parts store and THERE book says it takes a 82c...so which one is right? I took the plugs out and they were very black/suity...after new thermostat they did look a little better and was running a lot better...it is still running a little to rich. I pulled the MAF sensor off and cleaned it...lol..on top of it and to the side is a allen wrench bolt/inside a protective hole...it turns both ways...is this a ajustment bolt? I did have the machanic give it a quick check when first bought...$125AU...said was very good shape...said the master cylinder had a leak and there was a leak in the right front swivel pin housing...said to put grease in it instead of 90w gear lube...is that right?
Ok questions: MAF...is it ajustable?
Grease in Swivel pin housing instead of gear lube?
Thermostat...what temp?
93 Disco any good...engines in that year good...good buy?
The Disco has 217,000K(around 125,000miles if my conversion is right). Automatic...power windows...no sun roofs...It has been serviced pretty regular from what recepts I have seen. It was gargage kept...looks almost new...nice big bull/roo bumper and tow package.All tight and very stiff on pavement.
Great site....thanks and God bless...happy 4X4ing...beno

Old 04-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 93 Disco air/fuel problem

If you post this in the Discovery section, you will get more response. I was just browsing and came across it.

1. do not try to clean the MAF, you will kill it. Not sure if it is adjustable.
2. Disco's run rich normally.
3. LR made a new grease for the swivel pin housings that won't leak. I would use a grease/oil mix. Mine don't leak, but I check them every month.
4. My service manual only goes back to 95. Not sure on the temp. Can you find a LR dealer near you and ask them? Just watch for overheating. These engines don't like it at all. You could warp your heads or drop a liner really easy.
5. You might look into new plugs and wires. Not sure about the shipping, but DiscoMike has a guy that sells Magnacor wires very reasonably. Post someting in the Discovery section and you will get more responses.

Good Luck and Hi from Oklahoma!
Jason