New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Ahoy hoy

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:52 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahoy hoy

I guess it's good form to introduce ourselves a bit. I'm definitely new to the rover world, but I'm extremely excited. I actually lived in Utah most of my life, driving rear wheel drive old bmws and Volvos. And now here in Pittsburgh my job and the city snow-removal are certainly not ashelpful to meas my previous experiences back home. So I concluded I needed a solid go-anywhere-anytime vehicle. And I just couldn't see myself spending a couple grand on a crappy old Ford Exploder or Chevy Suburbanator...

So I got a sweet 1995 Disco on ebay for cheap. I got it outside Philly from these Ukranian brothers, classic experience really. They had a bunch of cars and trucks around, including a for real eurovan, which was cool too.

Anyway it's got 123k on the clock, only rust is the driver's seat frame, fortunately a POcoated the undercarriage. Now it's now a little dull andscratched here and there, which looks prettytough, though not asdignified as the British racing green once was...

Mechanically it'sok. It made the drive from Phillysafely. The Master Cylinder is leaking like crazy, so the brakes were borderline unsafe at the beginning of the trip, and truly unsafe by the end. But at least there's a smoking gun that can be a targetted replacement.

That's a decent V8 for how dated it is. And the tranny and diff didn't really make any noise at all until around 70mph... likely swap out those fluids soon...

Sure the rear windowsand sunroof don't work, and the SRS andABS lights are on. But, maybe the ABS will go off once I have real brakepressure, andsupposedly the SRS light was a timed one, so the bags could still deploy if needed... maybe I'll have that checked, maybe not. And I might even be able to figure out the rear windows and roof...

And there is this intermittent engine rattle that doesn't really go in time with the rpms, but definitely is less rapid at lower rpms... The Ukranian guys said it was the oil filter line from the pump that's just rattling, not affecting performance? Please check my tech post on this one, because I do want the mechanical stuff on this guy to stay solid...

And hey, the AC works great! I haven't had my primary transportation have AC in quite a while...

So all in all a pretty solid driver, that's much cooler than I even thought initially. And yes, this WILL do Moab once I'm done training and move back west!!!

I look forward to getting to know everyone, and I definitely appreciate your help and patience with me as a newbie.

Nate