New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Buying this weekend (maybe) question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying this weekend (maybe) question

For those who do not want to read my LOOOONG post:
Here is my question:

I am looking for a Discovery Series I or 1989-1997 Range Rover and want opinions on +/- to each regarding reliability and minor off-road capabilities.

I am looking at a 4 wheel replacement for my current 2 wheels. I have been a rider in california for a number of years and am looking at a land rover to replace my bike with as my main transportation and people mover and have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

Let me give you my background:

My dad got me started with LR love when I was a kid. We had a series II 88" growing up that was sold at some point, then we went in on a pair together - a 1971 Series III 109" with an early range rover V8 and "Gumby" a 1969-71 (cannot remember) Series IIa (lanny at rovers north called it a 2b, one of the last 2a's) Diesel 88" that we repaired in the garage and I maintained with great care bi-weekly. It has been 10 years since they were sold (I would love to find gumby - if anyone has seen her she had the pain removed, was originally rover green, 2.25L Diesel with a unique front bumper, safari top, fairy overdrive and GM alternator with a custom bracket - please let me know.) I am not a mechanic, but am learning and although I worked on all my old cars modern electrical systems boggle my mind, though I am learning. I have no problems changing fluids, brakes or plugs and can follow a manual and online instructions pretty well. I do not have a ton of cash to start with, but can budget $200/mo in ongoing repairs for the car and love to tinker with small things, but do need a driver, I do not need something that is always in the shop.

Here is my question:

I am looking for a Discovery Series I or 1989-1997 Range Rover and want opinions on +/- to each regarding reliability and minor off-road capabilities. I will not be rock climbing, but will do some minor trail driving and want to be able to follow the pack. I learned to drive on a Series LR and am a fan of slow and go. I also have no issue replacing the suspension on either vehicle to get more height or get rid of air suspension.

I have read about the issues to look for on the disco, and have no found similar reading on the RR, but tips there would be really helpful.

I like the body style of the RR better than the Disco, but have read more about the Disco and know little about the reliability of the RR, yet there are a ton of RR's in my price range for sale in So.Ca. so I did not want to completely ignore them.

Thanks for the help in advanced.