New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

contemplating doubling down....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default contemplating doubling down....

Hello! my name is Nikkie and I currently own a non-running 2001 Discovery II. I've got all the parts but am quite intimidated by all these coolers and hoses! However, with enough research and a good shop, I feel that I can accomplish the rebuild.

I also found what I think would be an awesome score, a Discovery I in pretty excellent condition body wise.... but it's got 203,000 miles on it and has a motor that needs to be rebuilt.

so.... opinions please? should I double down and snag this '96 for [almost] free or is it not worth the time?

Old 11-11-2016, 12:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by ladyoutlaw87
Hello! my name is Nikkie and I currently own a non-running 2001 Discovery II. I've got all the parts but am quite intimidated by all these coolers and hoses! However, with enough research and a good shop, I feel that I can accomplish the rebuild.

I also found what I think would be an awesome score, a Discovery I in pretty excellent condition body wise.... but it's got 203,000 miles on it and has a motor that needs to be rebuilt.

so.... opinions please? should I double down and snag this '96 for [almost] free or is it not worth the time?
Nikkie, just based on what you posted I say don't double down. The reason is that the parts, even just those needed for a rebuild, are expensive and most parts are not interchangeable between those trucks. I've owned two before but they were both same generation (Discovery II) so the lesser one became a valuable source of parts for the better one. You wouldn't have that option.

If I had it to do over again, I might have stuck with Disco I's because they are less complicated, electronically, and have more easily replaceable parts) though the parts may be harder to find).