New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hello from Southern Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017 | 10:25 PM
|
Drifting
Default Hello from Southern Ontario

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the Windsor, Ontario area and I just picked up an Emerald Green / Alpaca 2003 Disco II . I think its pretty clean, but I know I can't leave things well enough alone and I'm sure I'll be looking to the community for some knowledge and advice. I feel there are a few things which need addressing. We'll see where this adventure takes me!

-Wranglol

Attached Thumbnails Hello from Southern Ontario-capture1.jpg  
Old 04-15-2017 | 05:40 AM
Camel Trophy

Welcome, to the forum. You'll find all of the info required to keep your Discovery rolling down the road or trail here. Nice looking rig. What are your plans for her, once you get all of your maintenance issues corrected?

Edit...

Funny, you mention "southern" Ontario. Have some cousins in Glencoe and Chatham, and my uncle use to always ask them how the weather was "up there" in Canada...when in all respects...they were about twenty miles south of us. Guess my uncle had never looked at a map...lol.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 04-15-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2017 | 10:22 AM
|
Drifting

Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure of my plans just yet. I bought it as a fun/cool backup to my daily. Since I live in Canada but work in the Stats, I can't simply take a cab to work if my car fails me. so right now its my sort of unstoppable plan B. It can tow a car on a flatbed and makes snowstorms a joke. It can carry me and 4 friends with all of our stuff.

Currently I'm addressing any neglected maintenance and doing some "cosmetic repairs". I'll need to fix a sagging headliner, get a new steering wheel, new ebrake boot, button up some trim pieces that have lost their push pins, and maybe upgrade the stereo (I love Spotify and Bluetooth).

Then, I'd really like to throw a roof rack on, and get some black steel wheels with knobby 30"s or 31"s. Mayybeee a lift kit, we'll see. Depending on how into the off-roading I get I might look for a CDL T-Case since this is an '03. I think an overland rig is really what I'm after more so than a hardcore trail beast.

But oh my god the fuel economy is abysmal! I mean, I knew it would be bad. But the sting of premium was fierce. I remember it being like.. 20cents more than regular but now its like 60c more. So I definitely want to keep the engine running right. Going to swap all the plugs and filters and clean the sensors. Luckily I have no codes..... yet.

The truck has ~95k miles on it. The previous owner already rebuilt the engine to address the headgaskets. He seemed to be ontop of maintenance more or less. He was also an automotive engineer like me and the truck is pretty clean. I paid 6k CAD (so like.. ~$4500 USD) for it which I think isn't bad, considering he just dropped 3k in a new windshield, cat, rear shocks, and new winter tires.

Old 05-15-2017 | 03:23 AM
4wd High

Nice to see here someone from Canada, too Congrats with the excellent purchase! I am on to buy my second car in the US, tend to custom brokers services ( from https://clearit.ca/ ). I just like the quality of US cars more.