New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

If nothing else it will be a journey

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 07:44 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If nothing else it will be a journey

Hello all, Ryan here, I am new to this forum and New to the Rowdy Rover scene. Always wanted one and the opportunity came up to purchase a 2007 LR3 a few months back. So to be fully transparent I do enjoy working on cars but my younger VW bug and campervan days got most of that out of me. So I drive from the denver area down to colorado springs on fridays to pick up my kiddos and bring them back on sundays. Aprox. 100 miles each way. I drive a company vehicle during the week so the rover sits mid week. About a month into buying the LR3 I was early getting down and was working on my laptop and I saw someone I knew and he pointed out water running from under the rover. It was shut off a few minutes after parking and had been sitting for about 20 min or so. I let it cool down well and put a coolant mix in to top it off and no issues on the next 2 back and forth trips. Then towards the end of one of the runs temp gauge goes up, I shut it down immediately and pop the hood. Coolant is boiling out of the reservoir cap. We ate dinner, let it cool topped it up and returned home with no temp issues. I figured needs a new thermostat. The next few days I drive some short store trips and no problems, I think it probably sticks some from what I've been reading and keep an eye on it not being my daily driver. Some amazing human being hits me and totals out my daily driver. OOOh gotta go get the kids, I'll keep an eye on it no biggie I got AAA so im good right. I start my journey down and I'm stopping every couple miles adding coolant trying to get the kids back to the warden on time and its not happening. AAA comes first 7 miles of your 100 trip are covered now we need your credit card and a few hundred bucks later its back in denver. Over worked weekend single dad finally replaces the thermostat and voila running like a champ. Until I turn it off to get gas a mile away and it wont start. Im looking around under the hood and there's a hole in the plastic thermostat housing. Grabbed the part while changing it I find another hose with a broken T grab that and change it out then bled the system down kinda. I say kinda because I cant say 100% I did it correctly being my first rodeo. It starts and runs fine then a test drive I notice no heat and then It gets hot and starts blowing steam. I was on a section of I25 downtown denver where It was maybe 5 min before I could get safe and shut it off. It did go into a protective mode after the steam stopped and I putted to safety. Another AAA ride home and I find another plastic piece at the top of the radiator is broken off. It appears to have been partially broken before and made to still work but I'm sure I bumped it during this wonderful experience Im having so far playing mechanic. While waiting for the radiator to come I JB welded a makeshift piece onto the radiator to see if it would still run and maybe that was hopefully show me the radiator will be my final part to replace but now it wont start. Full of coolant hoses hooked up even though the one isn't permanent, its still attached and full of coolant. It turns over but I dont hear it fire at all.

Plan today is grab a code reader and see what its saying and go from there. Im not real sure I want to purchase the radiator and swap it out if the codes could come back with real bad news.

Please any help or guidance is much appreciated.
Any funny jabs are to!
New life rule for myself, say it out loud before you do it! Yes I'll buy that 2007 LandRover LR3 with 250,000 miles for 6,000 cash off of Facebook market place.
See that would have worked and I would still have 6,000.00

Old 01-20-2024, 11:02 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Engine Oil in a 2023 Landrover Defender 5.0 liter

Whats the recommended way to remove the engine oil from the 2023 Landrover Defender 5.0 liter motor. I have a vacume pump and everything bu there is no dipstick.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:43 AM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the forum!