New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Looking at this vehicle tomorrow. any help would be great

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at this vehicle tomorrow. any help would be great

2000 Land Rover Discovery: 81,600 miles. Wife's vehicle - lightly driven and well maintained. Off road only once. No Accidents. Near perfect paint.

4WD; V8; Automatic Transmission w/normal, sport, & manual shift modes; Tow Package; Brush Guard; Roof Rack; Electric Windows; Power Seats; Power Side Mirrors; Leather Interior; Front and Rear Air Conditioning w/dual interior temp controls; Dual Sunroofs; All Weather floor mats; Multi CD player/ radio; Remote Keyless entry; Dual Airbags; Full size spare. Fog lamps. Mud guards. Tires excellent.

--------

that is the description and i have seen pictures of the vehicle and it looks straight, but pictures lie in most cases. What should i ask and look for when checking the vehicle out and if i make an offer what would be reasonable for an LR in the above mentioned shape.

Thank you much

Attached Thumbnails Looking at this vehicle tomorrow. any help would be great-3k73pe3l65t55w35u0a6r582a6c9ef2f31aaa.jpg   Looking at this vehicle tomorrow. any help would be great-3m63o23l05z35x35s6a6r9635db7605851450.jpg   Looking at this vehicle tomorrow. any help would be great-3n53o73lf5q15z65u6a6r5c770cbe09151f65.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26352

Being the "wifes car" to me means it was not well maintained and the wrong grade of gas was used.
As for what its worth, depends on where you live.
Make sure everything works and that the dash lights up when you turn the key all the way on.
It is common for people to remove the light bulbs in the dash for the ABS, HDC and TC warning lights as well as the check engine light.
So make sure they come on and do a self test.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Rock Crawling

THanks for the heads up, i am here in AZ and the vehicle is in Tempe. I am guessing rust and other wet climate issues wont be a problem with this vehicle. As for the "wifes" car is this something that would worry you beyond the bad gas as a warning sign to stand clear? He is asking 8K obo

Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It has been my personal experience that the "wifes" car is either really well taken care of or just neglected beyond all belief because she didnt know it needed oil changes or that the temp gauge was never supposed to get into the red and that sort of thing.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Looked and moved on

Took your advice and reallyooked it over and decided to pass, but I have found a 2004 D SE 100k on truck and 40 on new motor. Seller is second owner and says the engine was replaced under warranty (has paperwork on this) also had all the service records since then that he has paid for. Including new cat converter/o2 sensor has tires with 80% tread left and brand new matching spair.
Body is strait and car fax that was presented to me showed a clean bill of health with no incidents.
Offer is 7200 and he accepted, taking another drive tomorrow before purchase. Any last tips before money exchanges hands as I am time LR buyer and this is the cleanest one I've found so far.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

7200 for a 04 with a new motor? that's almost to good of a deal, but more then he would get from a trade in.

04's are the best year for the disco II !

ask him if he had the drive shaft rebuilt, if not you will have to asap.

make sure to look at breaks and tires, also have a good look under the truck at the transfer case and make sure there isn't any leakage.

Good luck, sounds like a good one!

+1 of the wives car, not a good sign, also the only off road once concerns me. REMEMBER, guys who take them off road ACTUALLY TAKE CARE OF THEM.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Took a look

Saw the 04 and it looks solid, i checked for the lights in the dash and for leaks as well as tested all the buttons and ***** just to make sure nothing was in place, but not connected.
The owner has not had the drive shaft rebuilt, so what should i be looking at to have this done? If anyone knows any good LR guys in phoenix a heads up would be a lot of help. I am going to give him a day or two to sit on it and then give him a ring to make the deal happen if the last one i am taking a look at doesnt work out.

Pictures below of the 04

Attached Thumbnails Looking at this vehicle tomorrow. any help would be great-3n33ka3me5o25u55r2a7c5f82d5be86281c45.jpg   Looking at this vehicle tomorrow. any help would be great-3kd3p83l05t05w35s1a7cb8208e4784411c06.jpg   Looking at this vehicle tomorrow. any help would be great-3kf3pf3lf5y35q55w6a7c1d47b0578a081fa2.jpg  
Old 07-16-2010, 11:59 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a great deal to me. I say go for it!

If you have your drive shaft rebuilt you could be looking anywhere from $200ish up to $450ish depending on who does it. If you do it yourself it's MUCH cheaper. There are great write-ups and info on parts in the "Write-Up" section, take a look. You can also buy an aftermarket one from Great Basin Rovers, Tom Woods, and you can also find them on eBay. Just make sure NOT to buy an OEM one because it will have the same issues with being non-serviceable.

Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Pickingit up Tomorrow in the AM

Pikcing the vehicle up at 10am saturday, i will psot pictures soon after and then the fun begins. I cant wait to get it up to snuff and in shape for some adventure.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When they talk about the driveshaft, they are speaking of the OE not having greasable u-joints, these tend to eventually self-destruct. If it happens when you are driving, you have the shaft banging around under the vehicle suddenly, this often knocks a hole in the transmission housing, you loose all the tranny fluid, the tranny is toast and has a big gaping hole in the side of it. It may also hit the Catalytic Converter and destroy it as well. Repair goes into the thousands of dollars.

Original DI had greasable u-joints on the drive shaft, DII did not. Replace the non-greasable with greasable to prevent the Auto Self DestructMode described above!!!!!!!!!

The 2004 also has the CDL feature doesn't it? That was deleted from the earlier DII's but was standard in the DI. In the DI, the linkages tend to freeze up if not shifted often. I don't know if the DII with CDL uses the same linkage or if it is better. Check yours out to see if the CDL actually engages, just don't do it on dry pavement.

Quick Reply: Looking at this vehicle tomorrow. any help would be great