New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Maybe replace my 4Runner with a Defender

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 01:27 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Maybe replace my 4Runner with a Defender

Hello LR enthusiasts! I'm new to the brand. I've had a string of Toyota 4x4's since the early 90's. They've served me well, no complaints, but I'm ready for a change. When I saw the new Defender, I was hooked.

Thing is, my brain is telling me not to get it. My current 4Runner has <30K on it. It has at least another 100k in it, easy, with nothing more than maintenance and consumables (tires, brakes). Sure, I hate that it's part time 4WD. I wish it had a center diff, preferably limited slip, but it's still more than capable of any off road task I will ever ask of it. And of course my brain is concerned with the potential (probable?) reliability issues. I certainly wouldn't want an issue 50 miles from the nearest cell tower. Or even if I was just on a ski trip or something, some little ski resort town isn't going to have a shop that can deal with a Defender.

My heart though, really wants one. It tells me it's worth putting up with the issues. So what if I have to reboot the infotainment system now and then. I need to reboot my laptop now and then, right? Same thing, right? The Terrain Response system is just too cool. All the other tech, like the rear view mirror camera, 4x4 info display, all the other camera views, scratches my tech itch in ways the 4Runner just can't. And if the inside gets dirty, just grab a hose and hose it out! Plus there's the legacy of the original Defender and Series models.

I think of it like this. A 4Runner is like your mother. She'll always be there for you, do whatever you need, and hardly ask for anything in return. Just remember to call her on her birthday.

The Defender, on the other hand, is like your mistress. The $ex is incredible, but she throws a fit every now and then, and you need to buy her expensive things to keep her happy!

Last edited by downshift; 03-08-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:47 AM
Winching
Received 128 Likes on 112 Posts

Not sure what Defender you are speaking of ? 94-97NAS ? older ROW export ? you will have to pony up big time for a decent defender - these are not mass produced like 4runners and they require a lot more maint. as you stated - watch out for rust and try to find one from an enthusiast with good maint. history - good luck let us know what you find

Old 03-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm talking about the new Defender, from 2020 on. I think they call it the L663.

In my pandemic inspired online research, I've come across some totally bitchin original Defender restomods. Pony up big time is right! These are way out of my budget, well north of 6 figures, and at least twice what I'd expect to pay for a new one.

There are also totally bitchin Unimog and original Humvee restomods out there as well. All these restomods seem to be for people who have more money than they know what to do with. No one would call them daily drivers.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:58 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Life is short. Buy a Defender and enjoy it for a few years while under warranty. You will have no problem reselling it if you decide to unload.

I’m on my 4th Land Rover with no major issues with any of them. I’m driving a 2020 Discovery 5 and absolutely love every minute behind the wheel. No regrets.