New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Disco 1 Owner in Portland Needs Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:48 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco 1 Owner in Portland Needs Help!

I just bought a 1999 Disco 1 SD because I was at a Silver auction with my daughter, and she thought it was the cutest car she had ever seen in her life. Now I am trying to make it a good car as well.
Does anyone know of any private Disco mechanics in the Portland area? Someone not afraid to install used parts, or who can find thoughtful, economical solutions to problems?
Right now, I've got a leak from the passenger side front of the sunroof when the car sits in the rain overnight. Also, the passenger seat won't adjust downwards, and is stuck in the full upwards position. Its seat heater doesn't work either.
There are a couple of other problems, as you would expect, as it has 150,000 miles on it. The Disco is extremely entertaining, and I would like to enjoy it without going broke. I'm also terrible at doing most work myself, just to complicate matters.
Any assistance or pointers will be hugely appreciate.
Sincerely, Keith Martin

Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Disco 1 Owner in Portland Needs Help!

OK, good thing I used to live there and recognized the zip code in your profile.

You have two main choices, now that the dealer has closed the Classic Department. Ship's Mechanical Service, Doug Shipman, although I'm not real sure about his attitude about used parts. Green Oval, Doug Hoblitt-he used to be a tech at the dealership, we worked together there for a coupla weeks.

Shipman was rumored to have stopped accepting new clients, Hoblitt is glad to have new clients.

To be honest, PDX probably has more independent shops than anywhere I've been. Wish I could have stayed, it's a cool town but not a place for a conservative like me, I guess.

Cheers,
PT