New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

new to me '91 Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me '91 Range Rover

Hey people! I've always wanted to do Volunteer disaster relief work and didn't want to spend too much money on a 4x4. I spent $600 on a '91 Rover. The top half of the engine was rebuilt. The lower half is strong. It has a couple of minor electrical problems, but fully loaded. The 10 disc sound system was worth the money alone! I haven't driven it yet. Needs new tires. Thinking about Contis'! 204,000 total miles and less than 5,000 on partial rebuild. Interior is its age. Almost none in the rear, and minor wear in the front. Can anyone tell me if his was a good purchase? I'm hoping for a used LR4 in 2 years. Tryna work my way up!

Last edited by deucedaprodeuca; 10-21-2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 PM
gon
4wd Low

The thing about land rovers they are great cars of cores, ONLY they brake down a little bit more then we hope for.
Thanks to ex- warranty's makes your prices on the Land Rovers cheaper. What I am trying to say is that I think if you have going to keep the Land Rover and after u get it fixed you NEED a warranty.
The place I am looking in to right now that has had the best prices and they seem to be
splashiest in Land Rovers is Rangerovers.net

Old 10-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Drifting

At 204,000 miles and almost 19 y/o, I don't think I can get a warranty. Besides, I only paid $600 for it. What are some of the things that break down? The precious owner just replace the water pump.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 AM
Drifting
Default Dude!!!!

Don't listen to that crap! You have a 91 and only paid 6 bones for it?! I'm not the super duper know it all, but it's a great vehicle. And alot of the components for that year are cheaper and getting cheaper by the year. You could drop some good cash in fixing it up the way you want and not hurt yourself. At least i could , and i ain't rich. And the top end was replaced. Thats the problem area of the Engine anyway when they come off the line. Need to get my gaskets replaced around the head. I seldom here of lower ends going, and even getting overhauled. But with a little elbow grease and a few hours at a time, you could have that looking "TIP TOP". And not break the bank. Good choice, that was the year i drove when i did UN duty in Bosnia/Kosova. Hope it all works out for ya. A Rover is what an Owner puts into it. There all blood, sweat and tears!!

Cheers to your purchase!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Drifting

Thanks for all of your responses thus far. @Rhino1, that was excellent! Maybe he got all the bugs out for me. I was told yesterday that there were only a couple hundred miles put on the engine after the top half was rebuilt. The radiator hose had a pinch in it and starved the water pump and it went out. We replaced that and fixed the radiator hose. Now the only thing left to do is get the broken portion of the key out of the tumbler on Monday. I was guaranteed it will run like a champ. This is a friend of mine that I've known for 11 years and he helped me replace the water pump who sold me the SUV. I've given him great deals in the past, so he's returning the favor! I've been watching youtube videos of the 91's doing some amazing off roading. Great stuff! Thanks again!

Last edited by deucedaprodeuca; 10-23-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Drifting

Wow! Changed the water pump and got the broken key out the tumbler. This thing drives like a champ! I got a steal? Now to register it and buy new tires. Ugh!