New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New member, 03 Disco old problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015 | 05:30 AM
|
7th Gear
Default New member, 03 Disco old problems

Good morning,

Hello new friends!
about 3 years ago while living in central Pa the wife needs a new vehicle. Never being practical, we find a 03 disco with 126k for $4500. Great looking vehicle, but I warned her that it was gonna be a nightmare, and it has. On way home 80 mile drive, SES comes on. It does this for the next day, so i decide to take it to dealer. Of course they're a shady operation and won't let me swap this POS for something else more reliable, I'm stuck with it.

Well, I noticed where I lived in Newville, we had a shop with numerous rovers outside. One day I caught the owner outside and asked if he still worked on these things, and he did. Guy seemed to really know his stuff. I had done a little research and found out I did indeed have the problem plagued model(03-04 with bad oil pumps etc). Mechanic went on to say how he will put in new motor, oil pressure gauge, and all this other stuff. Fast forward 3 months and $6k later. Truck is done, but I noticed a some corners had been cut. He used heater hose for oil cooler lines, stating that he will put me the right stuff on hear when I bring it in for oil change. Check engine light was on still. I'm not a very confrontational person due to my temper, so i did him like anyone else who mistreat me, I never do business with ya again. BTW, avoid that shop owner is knowledgeable but also doesn't do anything he says. I was gonna have him work on my truck but his true colors started to show, and that's when I decided he will never work on anything of mine. I love supporting local but I refuse to be habitually taken advantage of. We moved back home to east texas and had all the o2 sensors replaced, which he did not. Check engine still on. Now 2 months later light flashes randomly, usual misfire codes, etc. I replace plugs with auto lite double plats and kings borne 8mm wires. A little better, but light still on and it still feels missing. Buddy I have working on it doesn't want to start throwing parts at it, but I'm out of options. It's a very clean vehicle and I don't want to have to get rid of it, but it's getting really close to that point bc I can't afford mentally or monetarily to mess with this thing much longer. It's an 03 Disco with 135k. TIA for any help!

Last edited by 318lll1927; 06-26-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2015 | 01:44 AM
Three Wheeling

Sigh.
The D2 is a lovely car, but can be problem plagued if you don't know what to look for. (I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but perhaps the first problem was going with what the 'mechanic' said and simply replacing the motor. Wow, you are financially committed to the car now! Water under the bridge at this point, no use talking about it any more.) The car has an OBD2 port where you can connect and find the codes for many problems, try and find someone with a Hawkeye or Nanocom unit since they are Land Rover specific, but the best might be to put on your detectives' hat and find a reliable LR mechanic. I hear that Autozone might be able to lend OBD readers at minimal to no cost. Search the forums and see if there is a name for a recommended mechanic in Central Pa. I can't help, being from South Africa, but a good LR mechanic here is worth his weight in gold and never has to search for work....
I am sorry you have run into these problems. Not all Land Rover owners have these problems, but due diligence before purchasing is necessary. 20/20 hindsight, so don't worry about what might have been, just move ahead and find that good mechanic. Keep us posted......

Old 07-07-2015 | 03:11 PM
|
7th Gear

We scanned it and code was p1000, misfire cylinders 3,4,6,8. Check plug gap?

Old 07-07-2015 | 03:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I purchased my 03 with same issue. I replaced coil assembly, wires and plugs. I went with advance auto coil assembly, 65.00, Kingsborne 8 mm wires and iridium plugs. No misfires for 6000 miles now. Top half of intake has to be removed to replace coil. Good idea, purchase new gasket for split intake, and if you have valve cover leaks, get some gaskets for them too.
I did mine in about 2 hrs.