New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New member in Kentucky

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 08:16 PM
7th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New member in Kentucky

In a few days I'll be taking possession of my first Land Rover, a 2011 LR4. And since I've belonged to a forum for every car I've owned, thought I might as well settle in here and say hi as this looks like the place to be for LRs. I'm a fairly adept DIYer up to moderately difficult tasks (no engine swaps yet!) and although most of my car history is with Japanese makes, I've cut my teeth the last few years with a BMW 335i and an Audi S4. They taught me that European car ownership isn't that hard if you're patient and do your research.

Now on to the soon-to-be-mine LR4. We have been a minivan family for 16 years owning 3 Honda Odysseys taking the first two past 200K miles and the third one currently at 150K. The oldest two of our four kids have their own cars now, so we don't really have to have a minivan any longer but were going to ride it out another couple years. My wife loves boxy-styled SUVs and at the top of her list was the LR4. I wasn't that enthused about the idea due to LR's reputation on reliability, but agreed to look into them when the time came. Then one day a few weeks ago I was talking with an old friend who had just bought a new Mercedes SUV and I was telling him how much my wife liked the LR4s. That's funny, he said, the Mercedes is replacing my LR4 and mine is for sale! So that's where we are and I'm buying it from him later this week!

The details:
  • 2011 LR4 Metropolis edition in White
  • 150K miles
  • Meticulous owner, solid 9/10 cosmetic condition
  • Major repairs in 2020 (all preventative, no failures)
    • Timing chains, guides and tensioners (was rattling)
    • Water pump
    • Front coolant crossover pipe
    • Fuel injector seals
  • Repairs needed - LCA bushings
I was an off-roading Jeep Cherokee guy back in the day, so getting some of those same feels except that I will probably never take the LR off road, LOL. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and I look forward to learning from the experienced folks here and hope to have something to contribute as well!

P.S. - I could share a pic, but can this forum be accessed via an app?