New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Member from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member from Texas

Greetings, all!

My name is Matt and I am a firefighter from Lubbock, Texas. AND a brand-new (as of yesterday) Land Rover Discovery owner!

I've always loved the way the Discovery looks, and decided it was time to take a chance. I picked up a 2004 Discovery with only 64k miles. I flew 500 miles to pick it up from a dealer in Houston.

During my drive home, I got several warning lights (ABS / traction control / Downhill control. Those haven't reappeared today. Check engine light came on; took it to Auto Zone and they said bad O2 sensor in bank 1. Passenger's rear door won't unlock. Rear door won't unlock. Side marker light just popped out of the fender. E-brake & 4WD Hi/Lo boots are worn. Missing windshield washer tank cap. Highway fuel mileage coming home was terrible (hopefully because of the bad O2 sensor, tho I understand it never gets very good).

And I LOVE it!

I know I have a lot to learn and I'm looking forward to digging through the various posts for help in the days to come...

Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the grind, where you'll learn to first slam your fingers in the door before starting any work on your Rover!

:-)

Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by tooltech
Welcome to the grind, where you'll learn to first slam your fingers in the door before starting any work on your Rover!

:-)
Thanks!

Ordered replacement "gaiters" for the E-brake and 4WD shifter from eBay. Side marker light now siliconed in place, courtesy of my brother. Doors open just fine from inside, even if they're locked. My check engine light mysteriously disappeared today (knock wood) although I'm sure it's not the last I'll have seen it. The other warning lights have also gone away and not reappeared.

I've gotten nothing but compliments on it so far from family and friends. Still love it.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Mudding

Welcome to the crew! Yes indeed it does come with a lot of surprises. As long as you keep up maintenance its a wonderful ride! Right now im pulling my hair out because im trying to see how I fix the electrical issue im having. :-/
I press a button for something and another thing turns on!!! :-(
Just an FYI you'll never feel like your the only one with an issue on the land rover. Everyone here usually tries to help out.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LtHixson
My check engine light mysteriously disappeared today (knock wood) although I'm sure it's not the last I'll have seen it. The other warning lights have also gone away and not reappeared.

I've gotten nothing but compliments on it so far from family and friends. Still love it.
My CEL goes on and off as well, mostly disappears after riding through mud and water

The main issues with my Disco is bad grounds, fuel guage not working (and consequently running out of gas a couple times a month), and missing/broken parts... but all in due time I'll get them fixed. But for now, I'll just keep ridin around and rattlin'!