New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New to the Rover World - 02 Disco II SE

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New to the Rover World - 02 Disco II SE

Always wanted one so badly and we finally pulled the trigger!
It was time to upgrade my wife's car. Unlike The Government , we have a budget and we had to stay in it, No Bails Outs for us
We were looking at options for a SUV. My priorities as husband are Safety & Reliability. Comfort and fuel economy were always a plus.
Surfing online found a buying a Land Rover wasn't prohibity after all. Found one about 80 miles away and just for the sake of it we drove to see it and to test drive.
WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!
After about 2 hours of talking, test driving and looking all over I just couldn't helped and just decided to drive it home!
I'm very mechanical inclined and do of of the light mechanical repairs on all our cars and trucks, but never messed with this breed.
I guess is never too late to ask about the maintenance costs, parts, and were to source the parts and how hard they are to work with?

Will post some pictures soon....

Thanks for the time, and we are umping to the technical section now...
Techs beware...

Old 01-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the Rover family. Older models are easier to work but not much on a LR is cheap.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Welcome.

Easier access to work on than most and have enjoyed working on mine. Download the entire Rave manual and you'll have Workshop, Engine and Electrical in PDF for the D2 to help guide your way.

Prices of most replacement parts very reasonable if you take the time to compare different vendor's prices and can wait a few days to have them shipped.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info,
Not really scared of getting dirty and looking forward to get my hands on it.
So far the issues to be addressed are:
1) power steering leaking, not sure if is the hoses, fittings of the pump it self.
2) dome lights not working. the PO claimed had an audio system that removed prior to the sale. And while trying to wire the original radio " something, somewhere sparked" and ever since no light dome.
Will try the search option now, but any inputs?
thanks