New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New to this site 05 freelander owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009 | 11:32 AM
|
6th Gear
Default New to this site 05 freelander owner

I am glad I stumbled onto this site after hearing from my service advisor that Freelanders are known for needing engine replacements. I have a lot of info from current owners to catch up on!

I bought my '05 Freelander new and had some difficulties right from the start, but all repairs and replacements were done under warranty at no cost to me. I will say it seemed to take forever for my local dealership to get parts for my car. I bought my Freelander because I had an '05 Mercedes C class sedan that was fun to drive but not practical with children, football gear, etc. I couldn't trade it in for a RAV-4 (what I owned before the benz) because they were so much cheaper. I liked the looks and the size of the Freelander (although my 6'6"boyfriend thinks it sucksjust a Ford Escape in disguise).

It is now in the shop because of a pink and black leak on my garage floor. They cannot find a leak, and the service rep asked me about if I had an extended warranty and how long I was going to keep it. I planned to keep it til 100K miles because it is paid for and I want a new kitchen in my old house... Now I am beginning to wonder. My brother says not to worry because new cars aren't selling so dealerships are trying to sell extended warranties to make some money.

I am a middle school PE teacher who enjoys sports and cooking. I hope to keep reading this forum now that I discovered it

Old 01-20-2009 | 12:31 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: New to this site 05 freelander owner

Welcome to the site from a fellow newbie. If I were you I'd trade it in for a Discovery. You can get them now for 5-6K and I love mine. It's a real Land Rover and your boyfriend is correct everything post 03 consists of quite a few ford parts. I have an 02 and it's built like a tank. Once you drive on off road there is no contest.

Good luck but if you stay with the Land Rovers you will thank me later. The older heavy ones can not be replaced. I will own mine or a Defender until the wheels fall off.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.