New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New and Still Looking for the Perfect Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and Still Looking for the Perfect Vehicle

Hello,

I'm new to the Land Rover Forums. I haven't actually bought a LR yet, but have gotten interested in them and am considering a couple. It all started for me this winter due to all the snow that we've gotten in Northern Virginia (NOVA). I was thinking of getting a Subaru Outback or something for the AWD, but came across a Range Rover on craigslist that needed a new BeCM and that got me expanding my search to ones that actually work.

So I'm trying to figure out: Range Rover, Land Rover, Discovery, Freelander... which to get.

I know this isn't supposed to be a technical forum, but I'm looking at a 2000 Disco II tomorrow. 95K miles. I'll poke around for posts on what to look for in a used LR, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Ellerbe in Woodbridge

Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

look at the discovery section there is a what to looking for when buying a discovery thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:13 PM
6th Gear
Default Thanks!

Ed,

Thanks for the advice. I read a couple of the "must read" posts including the comparison between the I & II and the "what to look for' posts.

I'm currently going through the "how to and write ups" section.

My dilemma is that while it tells me what can go wrong, I don't know how to check these items when I'm at the guy's house. I guess I could take it to a stealership and pay an "expert", but I prefer to do my own work whenever possible. I'm just an ignoramoose when it comes to this vehicle. I just think they're COOL!

ME

Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM

read this one https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

if you have any questions ask. what do you plan on using the truck for?

Old 03-03-2010, 03:09 PM
6th Gear

I'm planning on hauling the family around the suburbs, so gas mileage and reliability are a must. BWAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously, I would like to go off-road, but don't know of any areas around here (yet). I'm mostly interested because it's the best of breed for off road and all weather driving.

It doesn't snow all that much here, but because it doesn't, when it does, it takes days to get the roads cleared.

I'm fully warned about the maintenance and cost issues. I read all that first. I may end up giving up my quest until I can get some bills paid off, but now that I've got it stuck in my brain that I want one, I'll eventually figure out a way to get one.

But there's no rush.

ME

Old 03-03-2010, 03:34 PM

check out my club site, i have a link to your local club in VA.

they are great off-road trucks. even stock. but you need to be able to do simple maintenance yourself to save yourself some cash. like oil changes and greasing u joints and replacing small items here and there. the good news is they are easy to work on and the workshop manual is free. link also on my club site. good luck!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:32 AM
1st Gear
Smile

Hi all I am new over here and I am planning to have a land rover. Can any one give me suggestions on what I need to look at when choosing the vehicle. About the insurance coverages and other thing. Please help me. Thanks in advance

Old 03-04-2010, 01:18 PM
6th Gear

I found an '03 RR, a '99 Disco II, and an '00 Disco II.

Any thoughts from the group on advantages of the Disco (simplicity) over the RR? They are oddly enough less than 2K in difference in price.

Any systemic issues with the '03 Series 3 RR models?

ME

Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 PM
6th Gear

Finally got a response on a '92 RR on craigslist.

http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/cto/1616288534.html

I know that the headliner is falling and the radio is not working, but what are the RR issues for this series that I need to investigate.

This would be my first LR of any kind, and I've read up on both the Classic, Sport, and Disco I & II; however, I kind of like the thought of an older - less complex, easier to work on model, since I am not rich, but am able to do most mechanical work myself.

Any thoughts or suggestions from the collective wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

Mike in NoVA

PS - Do any of you also frequent "landroversonly.com"? Did that group split off of this one or vice versa? It seems that there is no shortage of forums and web sites devoted to the different models.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:47 AM

headliners always fall of. its an easy fix about 3 hours and $20. The radio is not working because of a missing security code, or an electrical problem. Again not a big deal. As for the RR's i'm not that familiar but I do know the older RR's are as easy to fix as the Discovery 1's.

Quick Reply: New and Still Looking for the Perfect Vehicle