New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New and Still Looking for the Perfect Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:01 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very new to the site, but purchased my first Disco II last summer. I had a friend that needed to unload it. I love it. I have learned a lot about it. One thing is that the Service Engine light will come on for anything, even a loose gas cap. You have to get used to that. I am thinking of investing in a diagnostic tool. It is not as hard to work on as I initially thought and if you have patience it will treat you right. I have replaced coolant hoses, battery leads, gearbox fluids, door gaskets and speakers. Disco's have a tendency to leak coolant, but there are some easy fixes for that. Also, there is a lot of glass on these things and sunroofs just leak. I have sealed up my rear sunroof and made it where it will not open. Does not bother me. Again, i do not think you can go wrong if you have a little patience. Good Luck.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That is a Range Rover Classic, that is my second choice of Land Rover.

It is very simple and very few electronics.
The tailgate will rust around the glass, if it has air ride suspension (doubt it still does) that will be a issue.
The stereo, you can either buy another LR stereo or just go aftermarket from Best Buy.
The RRC is the same chassis as a DI.
So for technical questions you can ask a DI person or look up DI repair info.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:48 AM
4wd Low

Yay! Congrats on catching the Land Rover bug CycoMike. It's a very cool thing.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:49 AM
6th Gear
Default May have found it...!

Thanks guys for the replies. I went and looked at the RR and the guy mentioned that he specifically bought this one because it *didn't* have the rust on the back. He's a car enthusiast who makes good choices, improves or at least properly maintains them, and then moves on after he's tired of that particular vehicle. (He had 19 cars in differing stages of overhaul when I was there) It's a '92 model, and not a County, so it didn't have the air bag suspension.

The only thing to speak of that wasn't fully functional was the fuel gauge. He said that when he drives it regularly, it works, but if it sits it "sticks" and doesn't. Sounds like either the sending unit in the tank or the gauge itself is sticking. Of course the headliner will need to be replaced as will the radio, but that's no big deal. I was more concerned with the mechanical, electrical, and body. The fuel gauge will bug me I'm sure; I should probably just bite the bullet and fix it straight away.

I haven't gotten *it* yet, but I definitely have *the bug*.

I'll have to check out the BRLRC (Blue Ridge Land Rover Club) once I get it. Can't join until then though - you have to *own* one to be a member... what snobs (chuckle).

Thanks Spike for all the tips, especially about being able to look at DI tips for mechanical stuff. I'm guessing that DI is *your* favorite model?

Mike

Old 03-17-2010, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear

Ed, I am in NJ and looking for a good 2000-2003 Discovey with less than 100k miles and for less than $7k; have any recommendations for local people I should be talking to?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

keep an eye on Craigslist in New York. there are always loads of people selling them. if i were you i would stick with 99-mid 02 then later on if you want you can add a CDL. I got my 99 that need all the gaskets and a tune up with 100k for $3000.